Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod randomly can't turn on/off connected smart devices

I have a HomePod that once a day will not be able to turn on or shut off the smart connected devices. Siri say that no smart devices are connected. I can still go into the home kit app and turn the lights on and off but the HomePod can't find them.

To fix it, I unplug the HomePod for five seconds to reset it. After that, it works perfectly until about 12 to 15 hours later and I have to repeat the reset process. I've checked and everything is running on the same network.

I also tried factory resting the HomePod and that failed to resolve the issue as well.

I'm using the Ikea gateway and have 2 of their control outlets connected to lamps.

Is there anyway to fix this issue so I don't have to reset the HomePod once a day.

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 3:04 PM

If you have a dual band wifi router try disabling the 5Ghz band. Some Homepod owners have found this can cause intermittent connection issues. Of course this is only for diagnostic purposes to see if it solves your problem as you will probably want dual band restored. I only have a single band wifi router these days (supplied by my ISP) after my (much loved) Time Capsule developed problems.

The other possibility is recent iOS and macOS updates seem to have resulted in Homekit issues for some users.

For what it is worth, my Homepod Siri is able to control my Homekit devices but I did need to turn my Wemo devices and Bridge off then on to get them to work after the iOS updates. LIFX light all worked well after the updates.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2019 3:04 PM in response to JJKMOJ

If you have a dual band wifi router try disabling the 5Ghz band. Some Homepod owners have found this can cause intermittent connection issues. Of course this is only for diagnostic purposes to see if it solves your problem as you will probably want dual band restored. I only have a single band wifi router these days (supplied by my ISP) after my (much loved) Time Capsule developed problems.

The other possibility is recent iOS and macOS updates seem to have resulted in Homekit issues for some users.

For what it is worth, my Homepod Siri is able to control my Homekit devices but I did need to turn my Wemo devices and Bridge off then on to get them to work after the iOS updates. LIFX light all worked well after the updates.

HomePod randomly can't turn on/off connected smart devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.