Question: Import iTunes library into clean installation of Catalina
Hullo all, hope you can help:
- I backed up my iTunes library (the entire "iTunes" folder—contains about 95GB of music ripped from my CDs) on an external hard disk.
- I installed Catalina on a newly reformatted hard disk on my iMac.
- I copied the backed up iTunes library into ~/Music (Home folder → Music).
- I launched the Music app. It showed my handful of iTunes purchases, but not my playlists nor the music I had ripped from CDs. 🤔
Clearly, my iTunes library was not upgraded at that point. The Music app was just seeing the music associated with my iCloud account. Second try:
- I quit and I deleted the new "Music" folder that was created (~/Music/Music).
- I launched the Music app holding down option. It asked me the choose a music Library and pointed it to the "iTunes Library.itl" file (~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.itl).
- The Music app launched. Again, only my iTunes purchases appeared, no playlists. 😢
Any idea how I can get the Music app to upgrade and see my older iTunes music library? There are plenty of playlists, ratings, play counts, album artwork from rare CDs that I scanned myself, even some digitised vinyl. This process has worked with previous OS updates, so I would expect my backed up iTunes library should somehow be able to be imported.
iMac Line (2012 and Later)