Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi issues after updating to Catalina

On start up my Macbook Pro doesn't connect to wifi. It searches but nothing comes up. I can use my iPhone as a hotspot but this is via bluetooth and not practical as a permanent solution.

I've tried a few fixes which appear to work and then I'm back to square one if I reboot or change location and need a new WiFi logon.

Any ideas?

A laptop with unreliable WiFi is not a lovable tool. I hope they update soon and the issue becomes an annoying memory.

MacBook

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 10:42 AM

This is a new fault after going to Catalina. The Wifi stays greyed out. The only way to get online is to log on via your phone first and then the networks come up. The other solution is to manually find a network where you know the network name and password.

These are temporary solutions as after sleep the condition often returns. I have spoken to Apple help and none of their suggested solutions provided a permanent fix.

I have seen other people have the same problem. It appeared during Catalina beta testing and still seems to be a problem for some of us.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2019 10:42 AM in response to brenden dv

This is a new fault after going to Catalina. The Wifi stays greyed out. The only way to get online is to log on via your phone first and then the networks come up. The other solution is to manually find a network where you know the network name and password.

These are temporary solutions as after sleep the condition often returns. I have spoken to Apple help and none of their suggested solutions provided a permanent fix.

I have seen other people have the same problem. It appeared during Catalina beta testing and still seems to be a problem for some of us.

Oct 20, 2019 10:26 AM in response to mike1london

Hello mike1london.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

If I'm understanding correctly, you have been having issues with getting connected to a Wi-Fi network with your MacBook Pro. I know it's important to be able to connect to Wi-Fi, and I will be glad to assist.

Please see the following resource for some steps that can help resolve this:

If your Mac doesn't connect to the Internet over Wi-Fi

Cheers.

WiFi issues after updating to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.