Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

gaps in phone numbers

Following the iOS 13 update, a great number of my contact phone numbers have incorrect gaps in them?

i have tried to enter them again but only input with the gaps again. Anyone else suffering with this or anybody found a way to solve it?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone XR

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 3:38 PM

10 replies

Oct 25, 2019 5:33 AM in response to Nando-1

This problem was sporadic before, but has become commonplace with iOS 13. Your phone's "Dial Assist" function is confused, and instead of processing your Contacts entries as UK phone numbers has started processing them as [unknown] different country's numbers. There is no fix for this problem, but I developed a workaround when it hit me in iOS 11.

You need to go through every one of your Contacts and change the phone numbers to full E.164 numbers. For example, change "07123 343434" to "+44 7123 343434". You won't input the spaces, of course, but they will parse correctly on their own.

Then, go into Settings and do two things. Well, three actually. Go to Settings | Phone and, at the bottom, switch off "Dial Assist". Then go to Settings | General | Language & Region and switch your region to a different country, back out, and go back in and switch it back to "United Kingdom". Finally, go back to Dial Assist and turn it back on.

Now, all of your calls will be parsed correctly. Inbound calls will successfully be matched with names from your directory and you will never misdial a correspondent. Also, by resetting Dial Assist, ad hoc calls dialled in UK domestic format should always complete in the UK. Good luck.

gaps in phone numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.