Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Encrypted TimeMachine - having bad times "make sure it's not mounted by another machine and try again"

Well, hi all. I hope you're good!

So, I have a Mac Book Pro 13'' and a iMac. And also have TimeMachine in my FreeNAS. So, I had bad time with long... looong backups with TMC and had seek all over the internet to solve it. So far so good.

Today, I had an issue with my iMac and tried to send my back up to my MacBook. But I seems impossible to do so. I've also tried everything I found in the internet and what I could think of. Nothing solve it!

This TMC back up is Encrypted with the TMC's option of encryption. So, I thought it was safe... But no. See the pic bellow. I've first tried to recover from freeNAS. But It couldn’t. So I've copied the files in the dataset to an external WD HDD. And NO LUCK again, look there, the very same error again (I thought was a freeNAS issue...). So what are my changes? I've lost everything? There's no way to recover it? no even my personal data?

What is so hard to make things easy?

MacBook

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 12:03 AM

So, after 24+ hours I found the answer by just exploring it - and just for curiosity, I found what I needed. I don't know if this is documented but I did a vídeo just to explain how to solve this if anyone in the future comes in the same path.

BTW, this is not user-friendly tho. This should be supported by Apple directly in the assistant. Cuz sometimes we need to reinstall from scratch and recover from that encrypted backup.

https://youtu.be/qSytZ33Lfwg

Cheers

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2019 12:03 AM in response to MichelDiz

So, after 24+ hours I found the answer by just exploring it - and just for curiosity, I found what I needed. I don't know if this is documented but I did a vídeo just to explain how to solve this if anyone in the future comes in the same path.

BTW, this is not user-friendly tho. This should be supported by Apple directly in the assistant. Cuz sometimes we need to reinstall from scratch and recover from that encrypted backup.

https://youtu.be/qSytZ33Lfwg

Cheers

Encrypted TimeMachine - having bad times "make sure it's not mounted by another machine and try again"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.