Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Message storage size showing incorrect

im fairly sure this has to be a bug. my messages under manage storage is showing as 49GB of usage. I have gone to settings -> manage storage -> messages I see the top 20 conversations are using up 9.5 GB. I have a few long time friends who are eating up a few GB of space and then on average the conversations in this list of 20 is around 200MB. The lowest is 60MB. That means I have other conversations eating up 40GB of space. Without actually counting the number of conversations I scrolled through the list and tallied up about 10 conversations per page as I scrolled through. I have about 300+ conversations. this literally means I would need 600 conversations with over 50mb of images. Now even if I severely under counted the number of conversations 25% of these are like from uber sending me a code. Is there a way to dig deeper? How do I open a bug report. I’m having to pay apple extra monthly to pay for more cloud space I don’t need!

iPhone XR

Posted on Oct 15, 2019 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 3:48 PM

Hello Cornwellsb,

Thanks for posting. I understand you're looking into your storage used by Messages, and I'm glad to see how I can help.

Try tapping Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Messages, and scroll down to Documents. It sounds like you've already looked at Top Conversations. Do you see any significant usage under Photos, Videos, GIFs and Stickers, or Other?

Are you using Messages in iCloud under Settings > [name] > iCloud?

Which iOS version are you using under Settings > General > About? If you haven't updated already to iOS 13.1.3, give that a try: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch and Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

I hope this helps get you started. Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2019 3:48 PM in response to Cornwellsb

Hello Cornwellsb,

Thanks for posting. I understand you're looking into your storage used by Messages, and I'm glad to see how I can help.

Try tapping Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Messages, and scroll down to Documents. It sounds like you've already looked at Top Conversations. Do you see any significant usage under Photos, Videos, GIFs and Stickers, or Other?

Are you using Messages in iCloud under Settings > [name] > iCloud?

Which iOS version are you using under Settings > General > About? If you haven't updated already to iOS 13.1.3, give that a try: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch and Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

I hope this helps get you started. Take care.

Message storage size showing incorrect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.