Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to download a DMG file for Catalina installation in multiple computers

If I want to:

1. download 8 GB in multiple "sessions" because my work and travel schedule and available connections don't allow for a full download in one shot,
  2. Keep the DMG to install in multiple computers without downloading in each
  3. Control when and how to install Catalina, independently of when I manage to download it.

Where do I get the DMG? The usual downloads page of apple only shows Mojave, previous OS and the usual apps.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 15, 2019 6:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2019 6:44 PM

Click here and follow the instructions.

(175316)

4 replies

Oct 15, 2019 7:43 PM in response to FreddyL

Hi FreddyL,

There is a much simpler way then what Neal posted. The average user isn't going to want to enter terminal commands, too much information.

There is no DMG file for Catalina. To get the installer file for Catalina follow the instructions below. You will need at least a 16GB USB flash drive.

1. Go to the App Store, this can be found by going to the Apple Menu > App Store or click the App Store icon in your dock.
  2. Once the App Store loads, type "MacOS Catalina" into the search box in the top-left corner and press return and click the entry for Catalina to go to the download page.
  3. Click the "Get" button. This will open Software Update in System Preferences and begin the download of the MacOS Catalina installer. Depending on your internet connection, this may take a while.
  4. Once the download is finished, the installer will open. Click cancel or quit to close it.
  5. Visit the site for Disk Maker X, https://diskmakerx.com/
  6. Download the application Disk Maker X to make a bootable copy of MacOS Catalina for other machines.

I hope this helps. If you have additional questions, don't hesaitate to write back and i'll be happy to provide more assistance.

Oct 15, 2019 10:39 PM in response to Niel

Thank you! Spot on.

Somehow Apple does not make it easy to find these instructions. I’ve been searching for for days but only circled around the same few “regular dude” installation instructions from Apple. More surprisingly, now that you point them out, I DID use these instructions several years and OSX versions ago. But was unable to get there again.

Again, Apple disappointingly seems to hide them -purposefully. Wonder why...

How to download a DMG file for Catalina installation in multiple computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.