Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Artifacts in iMovie

Hello all,

I have macbook pro 2017 base model with the latest Catalina MacOS and latest iMovie. I have created iMovie project on my iPhone 11 pro with latest osX and all the clips were recorded with this phone.

I wanted to finish my project on Macbook pro, so I airdroped project from phone to the macbook.

Now during editing in iMovie I can see some ugly artifacts during crossfade transition (or just after transition) from one shot to another one. This artifacts are visible in iMovie and also in exported video. Strange thing is, that after few plays of the shot in iMovie, artifacts disappeared. However, then they again appear after some time.

I've tried to delete transition and also shot and import it once again, however artifacts appeared again. I am not able to export video without visible artifacts. I can also see that in some artifacts I can see shot from another part of the project, upside down.

It's very strange, don't know if it is related to fact that project was airdropped from iphone or not. On the iPhone I can't see any artifact. I didn't do any video on the macbook directly so can't tell what's wrong, where is the issue, but for sure somewhere is pretty ugly bug - looks like graphic driver doesn't work properly. The strangest thing is that after few play of the part of the project, artifacts disappear for some time.

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 9:22 AM

Similar questions

84 replies

Jan 31, 2020 8:16 AM in response to Rich839

Have all of you guys reported the issues with iMovie to Apple in a formal way?

https://www.apple.com/feedback/imovie.html

I did and I think it’s the only way to raise attention to this bug, this forum is only a self service info portal...

The more bugs we all report the more attention it will get in the priority list.

And I agree: transcoding is not an option, only an ugly workaround 😤

specially when we’re all using Apple’s ecosystem and not some weird third party tools or codecs!

Mar 22, 2020 6:02 AM in response to geniusweb

My setup:

MBP 15" 2018 with TouchBar, macOS Mojave 10.14.6

iMovie 10.1.14

iPhone 11, iOS 13.3

~90 video clips in HEVC format

I can confirm that not all iPhone videos causing those artifacts. After 22 tries of tweaking, trimming and replacing "damaged" clips with another clips (that also were taken on iPhone) I've managed to conquer those nasty artifacts in my 3min video. This is ridiculous!

I wrote a Bug report to Apple about this and I would recommend to do the same thing for everyone who is facing this issue. Apple will pay more attention if more bug reports will be reported. On other side they pay less attention if reported bug is old. So we should do this as fast and massive as possible.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/imovie.html

Oct 16, 2019 12:10 PM in response to Rich839

Didn't help, anyway thank you.

Now I can see that issue starts to appear when transition effect is added between two or more videos, probably.

I've created a new project and everything looked fine until I did 2 things:

1. shortened the videos (clips) - from the beginning and from the end as well (to select only that part of the clip which is interesting)
  2. Added cross disolve transition between clips.

This is probably bug in iMovie which is new, because of the new iphone or new OS Catalina?

Thank you for any sugestions.

Mar 7, 2020 4:50 PM in response to Metroknow

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this post. It have been very helpful to know I am not alone experiencing this issue.

I have a project that is around 25 minutes long, comprised of many clips cut down to 3-5 seconds. Most of the source clips are 4K iPhone, but there are also some HEIC clips pulled from Live Photos, some 1080 clips from a Sony camera, and a few other mics sources.

Exporting the source clips out to another format and recutting is just not practical.

I just tried the suggestion of exporting the entire movie to ProRes 4k file and unfortunately this did not fix the issue for me.

A few other things I have noticed

• I see the clips during playback in iMovie
  • tweaking the affected clip by a few frames, making it a bit longer or shorter, will temporarily remove the artifact
  • doing the above fix for the entire movie results in a whack a mole situation, where by the time I have fixed the entire project some of the artifacts
  • the artifacts tend to come back in the same places
  • the artifacts are a few frames from another nearby clip, sometimes rendered upside down and inverted or with mixed transparency over the underlying clip
  • splitting the clip containing the artifact into sub clips (as suggested in one of these threads) did not help fix the issue
  • setting the view timescale slider to about the middle and then slowly scrubbing the playhead over an artifact area will also temporarily remove the artifact if you go then jump back a minute or so and watch the affected segment in the iMovie preview panel

At this point I am just waiting and hoping that Apple will release an update for iMovie that will fix the issue. It seems to be releted to key frame generation IMHO.

Mar 7, 2020 11:46 AM in response to geniusweb

I believe I found a solution that works. I was getting badly pixelated artifacts semi-randomly in my video when I would export to MP4 in any resolution. I was using video clips shot on an iPhone 8.

To resolve it, I rendered my heavily edited project to a 1080 Pro Res (.mov) file, which essentially flattened the timeline to a single video clip and did not have the artifacts created by the MP4 converter (I believe the converter is the issue, going from the raw iPhone format to MP4). I then created a new project and imported the .mov file I just produced. Once I added that to the new timeline, I was able to export it to any MP4 resolution with no artifacts. I've done this about a dozen times now with the same result - no more glitches/pixelated frames or transitions.

(Cross-posting here in case it helps.)

Oct 16, 2019 10:13 AM in response to geniusweb

Hi, geniusweb,

I don't think that Air Dropping the project caused this. Possibly a corrupt preference is causing it.

Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the artifacts are gone.

Another thing you can try is to copy your media into a newly created project and see if that cures the problem. To do that, do an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of the media in your project and then Edit/Paste it into the newly created project.

You could also try booting up in Safe Mode and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Then see if iMovie works properly.

-- Rich

Oct 16, 2019 12:29 PM in response to geniusweb

Hmmm. The issue might be related to a quirk with the new updates. I think somebody mentioned that there is a supplemental Catalina update, but not sure. You might check in case there is a supplemental update that addresses this issue.

You might try using a different transition than cross-dissolve and see if that makes a difference. Or try adding the cross-dissolve by doing Edit/Add Cross Dissolve.

As a workaround, you can add a black background to your timeline and adjust its duration to the same duration as your video clips. Then put your video clips into the auxiliary time line above the black background. Then place your cursor on the video clip to reveal the fade handles (blue dot) in the upper corners of the clip. Slide the fade handles toward the middle of the clip to create a fade. Do that to adjacent clips. You then will get a cross fade that looks a little like a cross dissolve. Not perfect, but might suit your needs.

-- Rich

Oct 17, 2019 12:15 AM in response to Rich839

Hello Rich,

thank you for the tips, however don't want to use "workarounds". It won't look exactly as good as by using original cross disolve transition and the reason why I switch to iMovie is the simplicity and the quick editing options with superb quality.

Yesterday I've observed that it happen sometimes even without transition effects.

So, it's either iMovie bug or Catalina/graphic driver issue. I've spent so many hours by trying to do it without the artifacts. In the same time I normally could cut and export 5 another videos :/ Very annoying.

Regarding update of Catalina - I've installed latest patch already and switch to "light" theme to ensure it's not related to that.

Artifacts in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.