Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Sticky notes upgrading to MacOs Catalina

I upgraded to MacOs Catalina and the dashboard is gone an also all my sticky notes, I need the information I had there, anyone knows how to retrieve it?

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 8:12 AM

I was able to "restore" the stickies app off of my time machine as my stickies didn't transfer to new sticky app, nor prompt me for recovery. On using it, with assistance of apple help line, turns out it isn't a functional app anymore (what was restored from time machine) so I can add to it, but it won't back up or save or allow export to Notes. I did a screen shot of the stickies, so I had the details of each (took forever, I have a ton of the stickies) I then copied/pasted all my most important stickies from the restored app into the new stickies app and they were there for several days and I was using them. Then on about day 3, the notes all disappeared, leaving me with the blank yellow new note prompt again?! Thankfully, I had exported those few important notes to the Notes app and am now using this instead. Something is really wrong with the stickies app following this Catalina update. If anyone else has found a way to keep the notes in stickies, please share.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2019 8:12 AM in response to 凶真

I was able to "restore" the stickies app off of my time machine as my stickies didn't transfer to new sticky app, nor prompt me for recovery. On using it, with assistance of apple help line, turns out it isn't a functional app anymore (what was restored from time machine) so I can add to it, but it won't back up or save or allow export to Notes. I did a screen shot of the stickies, so I had the details of each (took forever, I have a ton of the stickies) I then copied/pasted all my most important stickies from the restored app into the new stickies app and they were there for several days and I was using them. Then on about day 3, the notes all disappeared, leaving me with the blank yellow new note prompt again?! Thankfully, I had exported those few important notes to the Notes app and am now using this instead. Something is really wrong with the stickies app following this Catalina update. If anyone else has found a way to keep the notes in stickies, please share.

Nov 23, 2019 8:17 AM in response to Sam_LQ

The pre-Catalina Dashboard stickies content is stored in a preference list (.plist) file in your local, LIbrary Preferences folder. The upgrade to Catalina should have detected this file (if present), and automatically converted the Dashboard stickies into the current Catalina stickies content. The converted, Dashboard stickies should be present when you first launch Catalina's stickies application.

There is no Dashboard stickies conversion if one performs a clean install, and then an account migration after the installation is done.

Lost Sticky notes upgrading to MacOs Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.