Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

encrypted flash drive ipad pro

I have encrypted a flash drive on my Mac and I want to use it on my iPad Pro 11. When I plug the drive-in to the iPad Pro 11 it does not recognize it. Anyone know what I should do here to get this to work? I am using iOS 13.1.2. I am using iOS 13.1.2.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 9:11 PM

7 replies

Oct 17, 2019 5:32 AM in response to babowa

I’m not very technical. I bought the drive at the Apple store. It’s a sandisk drive with a USBA and USBC connector. I did not format the drive. I plugged the drive into my Mac using the USBA connector and used the encryption process to create a password. I plugged the drive into my iPad Pro 11 using the USBC connector, and the iPad won’t recognize it.

I did this because a friend told me it was possible. He said he could do it until he upgraded his iPad to ios13. Then it stopped working.

We can read drives without passwords fine.

Oct 17, 2019 7:11 AM in response to T_G_AAA

Sorry, but iPadOS/iOS is unable to directly access encrypted storage devices.

Some proprietary devices - that use an installable companion App on the iPad - might be able to access password-protected storage devices.

If you need to share the device between your iPad and PC/Mac, the storage device must be formatted appropriately. Supported formats for iPad are FAT, FAT32 and exFAT.

Oct 17, 2019 11:10 AM in response to T_G_AAA

Formatting has nothing to do with passwords; it is the file format of the drive (and every drive has one). Some are sold so they can only read Windows formats or mac formats, but you can easily change that using disk utility (in your Applications > Utilities folder). It is recommended that you format any new drive before using it.

encrypted flash drive ipad pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.