Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 Apple Cinema Display to 2019 MacBook Pro

Unable to get my 2010 Apple Cinema Display to work. Using a 2019 MacBook Pro and Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter.

Posted on Oct 17, 2019 6:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2019 6:44 PM

That adapter is for Thunderbolt displays only. You need a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter

https://ca.uptab.com/uptab-usb-c-type-c-to-mini-displayport-adapter-4k-60hz-silver/

and a USB adapter.

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

If you want to power the MacBook Pro from the display, you will also need a MagSafe adapter.

https://elecjet.com/products/anywatt-magsafe

It can plug into the extra USB-C port on the Mini Displayport adapter.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2019 6:44 PM in response to Pete102

That adapter is for Thunderbolt displays only. You need a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter

https://ca.uptab.com/uptab-usb-c-type-c-to-mini-displayport-adapter-4k-60hz-silver/

and a USB adapter.

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

If you want to power the MacBook Pro from the display, you will also need a MagSafe adapter.

https://elecjet.com/products/anywatt-magsafe

It can plug into the extra USB-C port on the Mini Displayport adapter.

Oct 18, 2019 2:51 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

To Pete and Malcolm,

I am having this exact same problem. I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017, Touch Bar) that I want to connect up to a beautiful 30" Cinema Display (Apple Cinema HD Display/A1083/30", matte, LCD, 2560 × 1600/Unsure of Birth Date as the Serial number is not on the base of the stand) I got off eBay.

Still, I'm not ready to give up on it yet. I really don't want to go down to Best Buy and buy some random crap monitor. So far I've tried every connection possible. I have a plethora of connectors now. I'll post photos. Just ordered what Malcolm mentioned above. I do know the monitor works as it fired up great with the equipment mentioned here:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/308123/connect-apple-30-cinema-display-to-new-macbook-usb-c

But then after a few minutes, I was getting a steady blink every six seconds or so and after ten minutes it seems to artifact. I have to unplug the Henge Dock connection from my MacBook Pro (mentioned in link above) to reset it.

I realize that blinking and artifacting may mean the Cinema Display is going bad but there seems to be a ton of daisy chaining going on with the system mentioned in the link above and I wonder if that's doing it.

I'm including a photo of all the adapters I have currently for the curious. I'm lucky that I have some of the super rare bits to go with the Cinema Display including not one but two power bricks.

Thanks for all the advice and any you might want to add. I'm curious how things will go when I get the ou need a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter (UpTab) and the USB-C to USB Adapter on Monday.

Cheers,

Tracy

Oct 23, 2019 7:50 PM in response to Streamlinemoderne

The connections I found that *finally* worked for me were using 2 out of 3 of the cords coming out of the back of the Cinema Display (VGA and monitor cord - not sure what c-shaped plug is?) and plugging it into an adapter like this:

What this adapter is called I can't say. Maybe someone can speak up here? I know they're hard to find. Apple doesn't make them anymore. Mine came from the eBay seller who sold me the monitor.

Then this adapter breaks off into two cords – USB and a display cord:

Display cord goes to the UpTab device and the USB cord will need to go into a USB to USB-C adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VU2OID2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both of these end in USB-C cords which need to go directly into your MacBook Pro. Which eats up 2 out of the four of your USB-C ports on your computer. But you get a big beautiful screen for your sacrifice.

Wondering if there's a USB-C splitter that would give me some more joy?

*Not a tech expert

• Figured this out after 3 weeks of research and experimentation with a variety of plugs and adapters – 2 of which an Apple store sold me but didn't work.

Jan 11, 2020 6:27 AM in response to Pete102

Hi to all expect.

I have this same problem too. When I try to connect my 2019 Mac book to Apple 23inch Cinema Display. APPLE A1082 EMC 2010. It didn't work. I'm not sure what it went wrong.

My method is Power brick has the DVI output using it to connect Apple DVI to MINI Display follow by ITANDA Mini display to USB C and plug it into the Mac. Follow by connecting the Power Brick USB to Apple USB C to USB adapter. Apparently nothing show up on the display.

But the strange things is that when I press the power on button. My macbook will show a pop up message asking me to Shut down / Restart the computer. So I have no idea what it went wrong. Any one know and able to help to solve this ?

Jan 27, 2020 3:27 AM in response to Pete102

Has anyone successfully got a 2019 16 inch MacBook Pro to work with their Apple Cinema Display LED (27-Inch)(2010) ?

I have purchased the UpTab USB-C to Mini Display Adapter and yes it does make the Cinema display work, however it only works in 1280 x 720 resolution which is not really workable. This cinema display is capable of 2560x1440 and I believe the upTab adapter is capable of supporting such resolutions and higher.

Has anyone managed to get 2560 x 1440 resolution with the same setup I have? From looking online it seems like it should be possible but I wanted to confirm that it was indeed possible?

I've contacted Apple support and they have directed me to a local Apple store. We tried resetting NVRAM or Pram and starting up in Safe mode. No luck.

Can someone confirm that they have been able to get this working at full resolution?

Many Thanks.

Jan 27, 2020 11:34 AM in response to stevewc84

Hi there stevewc84,

Good news! Originally after having my 2017 15-inch Mac Book Pro hooked up to my 30" Cinema Display (Apple Cinema HD Display/A1083/30", matte, LCD, 2560 × 1600/Unsure of Birth Date as the Serial number is not on the base of the stand), I now have a 2019 16 inch MacBook Pro hooked up to the same cinema display. I checked the resolution and it is indeed 2560 x 1440. Now whether that will work with a 27-inch Cinema Display is still a question mark, but I can't see why it wouldn't work?

Good luck,

Tracy

Jan 28, 2020 8:18 PM in response to stevewc84

Hi stevewc84 -

Can you take photos of how you have it set up now? The back of the Cinema Display and the cords you're using? I didn't get much help from my local Apple store but you might fare well with UpTab. If you go back to earlier in this thread, you can see what I used. I am using the exact same set-up with my 2019 MacBook Pro. UpTab's gizmo was the only thing that worked. You do have to use two of the four of your USB-C ports with the UpTab directly (no hub in between) to make it work.

Good luck,

Tracy

Feb 3, 2020 7:28 PM in response to Gimstergram

Trying to connect my 2019 Macbook Air and A1082 Apple Cinema Display I am also getting the message asking if I'd like to shut down the computer when I hit the power button on the monitor, but the monitor itself not working. Have you had any luck? Right now I am using a USC-C to USB adapter and a USB-C to Mini Display Port (not the UpTab brand) adapter.

I was told by someone at Best Buy that my next step could be to try a DVI/HDMI adapter, but I am wary of spending more money on adapters.

Thanks for any help.

2010 Apple Cinema Display to 2019 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.