Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Digitally sign PDF with CAC reader

I recently upgraded to OS Catalina from Mojave. Using Mojave, I went through the painstaking process outlined on militarycac.com to have my Mac fully functional with my CAC reader, to include digitally signing PDFs using my Common Access Card. After upgrading to Catalina, I have been able to successfully use my CAC to access all sites and services, etc. EXCEPT digitally signing PDFs using my CAC enabled digital signature. This must have something to do with the new CAC abilities in Catalina.

Since the other functions work great, is there a plan to update Catalina to include this feature, or conversely, is there a work around I can use?

Thanks!

Apple Sailor

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2019 7:08 AM

Catalina worked for me after this:

"Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina) users if you are unable to sign a PDF using Adobe, please verify this setting on your Mac:

Open an Adobe PDF file, 

Select the words Adobe Reader (at the top of the screen)

Click Preferences

Under Categories, scroll down to Signatures

In the Creation and Appearance section, click More

Make sure Enable CryptoTokenKit framework support is checked.

You might also need to change the Default Signing Format to CAdES-Equivalent"

Change the Default Signing Format to CAdES-Equivalent was all I really changed. I got this from https://militarycac.com/esign.htm down at the bottom. If you get several export popup, if you don't want to keep entering your password click "Always Allow". There will be a popup for your CAC PIN. I you don't know it locate and memorize it as that popup is required every time.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2019 7:08 AM in response to rdgabel13

Catalina worked for me after this:

"Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina) users if you are unable to sign a PDF using Adobe, please verify this setting on your Mac:

Open an Adobe PDF file, 

Click Preferences

You might also need to change the Default Signing Format to CAdES-Equivalent"

Change the Default Signing Format to CAdES-Equivalent was all I really changed. I got this from https://militarycac.com/esign.htm down at the bottom. If you get several export popup, if you don't want to keep entering your password click "Always Allow". There will be a popup for your CAC PIN. I you don't know it locate and memorize it as that popup is required every time.

Nov 6, 2019 9:45 AM in response to rdgabel13

I have been dealing with this issue, and just found a solution on MilitaryCAC.com. Below is what the process they outlined that worked for me. They say to do this on Adobe Reader, but the same instructions worked for me on Acrobat Pro 2017. I already had "Enable CryptoTokenKit framework support" checked, but needed to change "Default Signing Format" to "CAdES-Equivalent." That seemed to do the trick. After I did this, when I tried to sign a PDF with my CAC signature for the first time I had to click through about 10 windows asking for my computer password to enable different permissions. I clicked "always allow" and didn't have to do it the next time I signed. Here you go:

Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina) users if you are unable to sign a PDF using Adobe, please verify this setting on your Mac:

Open an Adobe PDF file,

Click Preferences

You might also need to change the Default Signing Format to CAdES-Equivalent

If this is not enough, you might need to wait until the next update of Mac OS Catalina.

Here's the link where this (and more) info is posted: https://militarycac.com/esign.htm

Digitally sign PDF with CAC reader

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.