Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update Java with macOS Catalina

Java has released new updates for the different versions.

I tried to update Java SE 8u231, both in the Jdk and in the Jre versions.

For both versions, macOS Catalina prevents opening, and therefore being able to install them, by sending this message:

" Cannot open 'Java 8 Update 231.app' because Apple cannot check for malware. The software must be updated. For more information, contact the developer. "

I have already sent feedback from the java.com site.

We will see developments ...

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 4:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 5:12 PM

Thank you Lanny for your report.

Yes indeed from Java Control Panel it is possible to install the new version released by Java, bypassing the controls imposed by macOS Catalina on the presence of malware.

As always happens, I realized late and right from there I updated to the Java 8 update 231 version. Now everything is OK!

However, at the moment, it is not possible to update Java versions directly from the developer's website as their software is not yet compatible with MacOS Catalina.

Therefore remain this serious impediment that will have to be removed as soon as possible by Oracle Corporation.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2019 5:12 PM in response to Lanny

Thank you Lanny for your report.

Yes indeed from Java Control Panel it is possible to install the new version released by Java, bypassing the controls imposed by macOS Catalina on the presence of malware.

As always happens, I realized late and right from there I updated to the Java 8 update 231 version. Now everything is OK!

However, at the moment, it is not possible to update Java versions directly from the developer's website as their software is not yet compatible with MacOS Catalina.

Therefore remain this serious impediment that will have to be removed as soon as possible by Oracle Corporation.

Unable to update Java with macOS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.