Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chrome crashes after Catalina install

Hi

It would be great if someone could help me here. Chrome launches after the Catalina install, but crashes immediately when I try to navigate to any website, or attempt to use any of the menus going to settings for example).

The slightly weird thing is that (because of my disability) I use Vysor to control my android phone via my computer, and Vysor seems to need a Chrome window to function.

I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome many times. I have also got rid of Avast, and uTorrent. Firefox seems to work, but Opera also crashes, and does so immediately on launch.

EtreCheck report below.

Thank you.

iMac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 5:13 AM

I have this problem as well and it started with Catalina. The only way I have solved this is by forcing Chrome to create a new profile. This is also not permanent as the problem will eventually recur in a some random days. To do that:

Go to the Chrome User Data folder:

Open Finder by clicking the icon on the left of the Dock. On the menu bar at the top of the screen, click Go > Go to Folder. Type: ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/ and click Go.

When the folder opens, right click on the Default folder, and click Rename. Change the name to Backup Default. This will make Chrome create a new Default profile and ignore the old one.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2019 5:13 AM in response to Vertigo13

I have this problem as well and it started with Catalina. The only way I have solved this is by forcing Chrome to create a new profile. This is also not permanent as the problem will eventually recur in a some random days. To do that:

Go to the Chrome User Data folder:

Open Finder by clicking the icon on the left of the Dock. On the menu bar at the top of the screen, click Go > Go to Folder. Type: ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/ and click Go.

When the folder opens, right click on the Default folder, and click Rename. Change the name to Backup Default. This will make Chrome create a new Default profile and ignore the old one.

Chrome crashes after Catalina install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.