Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrading from Catalina to Mojave

Hello,

I'd like to downgrade from Catalina to Mojave.* I have a Time Machine backup but nothing from right before I upgraded. I read a couple tutorials that say I need to wipe my HD to downgrade. But because I don't have a Mojave backup I would rather not. Could I just install Mojave from the App Store / Software Update pane? Will this mess things up?

Thanks for your help!!

* downgrading because the new Music / Books apps are making my life and work more complicated, due to missing features mentioned already in other threads...

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 4:39 AM

10 replies

Oct 19, 2019 7:07 AM in response to dialabrain

Thanks again for your help. That's disappointing. I guess I'm stuck with Catalina then. To answer your question, I want to downgrade because of these changes in the interface :

Music : I have 9k songs in my library, many of which I use for work. Navigating my music library quickly is impossible without column browser

Books : Can no longer see play count for audiobooks, and specifically play count of individual chapters, which was useful for me. Maybe I could get around this by importing my audiobooks to Music – in any case, it's annoying.

Finder / iPhone : I film with FilmicPro on an iPhone. Copying files into the Finder is less intrinsic, and a lot slower, than it was with iTunes (last tested in the beta of Catalina, maybe things have been improved)

Nov 6, 2019 8:57 AM in response to dialabrain

I guess you are right, I am in that nightmare right now. I installed Catalina 2 days ago and found out yesterday that LaCie Desktop Manager is not compatible with Catalina. I had no warning from the install. Now back on Mojave, all the backup on Time Capsule made with Mac on Catalina  are not accessible, only those from machine on Mojave. I can't select my backup even if there month's of backup made on Mojave. I might make a copy of the backup and try to remove those last few backup made with Catalina. 

Downgrading from Catalina to Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.