Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to configure iPod Touch for music only?

I want my new iPod Touch for exclusively playing my iTunes library just like when using the former iPad Nano. Anybody able to assist me with this?

~~F r a n k

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 11:16 AM

You may need to be specific about what you mean, since all you need to do is put your music on it, in the same way as you did for your nano.

1. Are you having trouble putting music onto your new iPod?
  2. Are you trying to remove all the apps from your iPod? You can't do that, although some can be offloaded (which amounts to the same thing).
  3. Other apps just need to be ignored.
  4. There are tips for managing your iPod if it's not large enough for your entire music library.

Let us know where the problem lies and we can offer specific advice.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2019 11:16 AM in response to franklg

You may need to be specific about what you mean, since all you need to do is put your music on it, in the same way as you did for your nano.

1. Are you having trouble putting music onto your new iPod?
  2. Are you trying to remove all the apps from your iPod? You can't do that, although some can be offloaded (which amounts to the same thing).
  3. Other apps just need to be ignored.
  4. There are tips for managing your iPod if it's not large enough for your entire music library.

Let us know where the problem lies and we can offer specific advice.

Oct 20, 2019 6:45 AM in response to WolfGang147

I fully agree with you about using a third party source...…..consider that out of the question, and thanks for the awareness.

I don't think that I need to proceed with the steps outlined as described in the PC link since I already currently have an iTunes library along with a collection of playlists well established........all of which is predominantly purchased from the iTunes store.

Here is where I am at the moment...…...

I am about to start-up anew again following a reset. My screen reads 'Quick Start' - - 'Set-Up Manually'. Then 'Choose Wi-Fi Network' is showing. BUT, I don't want to go that far. I simply want to avoid that and load my iTunes.

(Because, the previous time that I did it the iPod Touch took over and blocked my cell phone from default synchronize in my car) Strange as it may seem, on the first day that I took it out of the box I was able to slide a couple of playlists from iTunes file onto the Touch and play them in my car just like I did with the previous Nano.

What's your take on this? Please bear with me........I really appreciate your help and guidance. I want to get this properly functioning.

Oct 19, 2019 11:21 AM in response to franklg

If you're wanting to limit the device itself, you might want to use parental controls, as they would let you set time limits and restrict different things on the device and only allow music. Keep in mind, some apps can't be turned off. Try experimenting with different combinations of restrictions to see what works best for your needs.

Here is the support article for using Parental Controls:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201304

Hope this helps!

Oct 19, 2019 6:49 PM in response to franklg

Hmm, can't say that I have. I would be careful using third party software, as they aren't as secure as going straight through apple. If that's the route you'd like to take, make sure to do ample research before doing it. Here are the instructions for importing media from PC and Mac:

PC: https://support.apple.com/guide/itunes/import-items-already-on-your-computer-itns3081/windows

Mac: https://support.apple.com/guide/itunes/import-items-already-on-your-computer-itns3081/mac

Hopefully one of these ways is what you're looking for.

Oct 19, 2019 3:28 PM in response to the fiend

Thanks for your response.

I'm new to the iTouch. I got all screwed-up during the initial set-up and I have done a reset to start over again. I don't want to do anything more than to transfer load my iTunes music (playlists) from my computer to the Touch....just that and nothing more. It seems that I have to set-up an account with password, yet, upon doing so things become more complicated...…...for example, not all of the transferred selections become playable. And, I keep having to sign back in with the 4digit passcode even when I have paused for as little as 15mins. Can't change selections (moving foreword or backward) while playing music in my car either. I'm totally frustrated.

Oct 19, 2019 4:32 PM in response to franklg

franklg wrote:

It seems that I have to set-up an account with password,

If you only wish to transfer music that you already have in your Library, for example copied from your own CDs, or purchased from online sources such as Amazon, and nothing purchased from the iTunes Store, you o not need to create an account or sign in. You also do not need Apple Music.

Oct 21, 2019 12:43 PM in response to franklg

franklg wrote:

1)- iPod Touch buds-in to default in my car which intervenes wth my cell phone connection. I then have to stop to perform a fresh pairing to the phone.

It sounds as though you're trying to use Bluetooth from both your iPod and your phone. That's not usually possible. (It would be nice to have though.)

The answer to this problem is to use Bluetooth from one device and a cable connection with the other device. It makes sense to use Bluetooth for the phone and then use the cable for your iPod and connect it to a USB socket in your car, there must be one. If you use the USB connection from the iPod, it won't interfere with the phone using Bluetooth and you should be able to use your car's controls to manage the iPod. It's how I use my iPod and phone in my car.

Oct 21, 2019 12:55 PM in response to the fiend

The cell phone is always on wireless (no cable) as you would expect. The iPod is connected to the USB socket as you indicated and I have the Bluetooth setting for it turned Off. So, something else must be going on here which is a mystery.

And, here's another mystery: I tried to connect to my small JBL speaker this morning and the Touch blue-tube wouldn't connect.

Oct 21, 2019 1:14 PM in response to franklg

It can only be one of two things: either the Bluetooth is on, or your car is being awkward. Check the iPod's Bluetooth setting again, because if you have previously paired the iPod with your car, it will attempt to connect to the car whenever Bluetooth is on (which is why it interferes with the phone). So turn the iPod's Bluetooth off when you're in the car, or delete the pairing between the iPod and the car.

Regarding the JBL speaker; the JBL can connect to two devices at the same time. (How do I know? I have a JBL Charge 3.) However, it is possible that if one device is already connected, it may prevent any other device from connecting to it. So the first thing to do is ensure that nothing else is - or is trying to - connect with the JBL. If that doesn't sort out the issue, go into the Bluetooth setting on the iPod and tap on the blue information icon for the JBL (next to the Not Connected message). This brings up an additional menu; tap on the Forget This Device option to un-pair the two devices. Once that's done, re-pair the iPod with the JBL. Does that fix it?

Oct 21, 2019 4:41 PM in response to the fiend

The only thing left unsolved is the inability to advance/return music selections while in my car by pressing the FWD-REV buttons on my steering wheel...…..the name of the selections show, but the song that's currently playing continues to play to the end.

When I first bought the iPod Touch this past July 1/'19 I loaded a music playlist from my iTunes library and each selection played properly in sequence while in my car allowing forward/reverse at random.

What does it mean when the screen requests to 'Dismiss' before continuing?

Oct 26, 2019 3:02 AM in response to franklg

Okay. Now is the time for you to find someone else to look at your iPod. Rather than you showing them what you're doing, tell them what it is that you want to achieve. Then, that person can try it for themselves.

If you "show" them what you're doing, all that will happen is that they will copy what you've done - they'll do it the same way, with the same results.

Why not try going to an Apple store?

Oct 26, 2019 3:34 PM in response to the fiend

They equally confused as I was and , like you said, the problem had to be in my car since everything was otherwise working fine.

The problem was simply that the Audio 'Repeat' button was ON! And, all I need to do was turn it off.

Go ahead and have a good laugh if you want. Everything is back to normal and working fine now.

Thanks a lot for your assistance and patience! Kudos to You.

How to configure iPod Touch for music only?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.