Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incorrect Voices in Text to Speech

I'm going nuts here. If I highlight a section of text on screen, and use Option-Escape, the voice is the correct voice that I want and have selected. If I highlight a section of text on the screen and use double-tap/right click -> Speech -> Start Speaking, then it uses Siri Male Alex voice. I've been through every setting in System Preferences and searched online for help. I've been to Customize and unchecked all other voices and deleted any downloaded. Can anyone please help? Using 2018 MacBook Pro with latest Catalina build. Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 10:04 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Oct 25, 2019 6:31 AM in response to røbert

Hello røbert,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I see you're having an issue with the chosen voice when using speak text and I'd like to do what I can to help.

You've done some great troubleshooting steps for this unusual behavior so far! To verify, have you restarted your Mac, since noticing this happening? If not, go ahead and do that, as it can resolve unusual issues.

Have you tried choosing a different voice, to see if this still happens?

Change the voice your Mac uses to speak text

The issue may be isolated to one particular voice, and by trying different voices, you can isolate the issue a bit more. I'd also try with different apps, to make sure it's not app related.

Then, the next steps it to contact Apple Support, so they can take a closer look at this behavior.

Cheers!

Incorrect Voices in Text to Speech

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.