Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina and Adobe Flash update

I get the message Adobe Flash needs an update. When I check the updates available there aren't any for OS 10.15. What do I use?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 3:46 PM

18 replies

Oct 31, 2019 1:15 PM in response to barbs11

You may need to do one or more of the following if still having issues?

• install (reinstall?) Flash player from Adobe's web site (if using Catalina, use the most current - see above per -DaveD)
  • look at menu -> Safari / Preferences / General, left nav panel at the bottom Plug-ins, see that Adobe flash Player is checked
  • on the right nav panel, see that the web site you need is allowing Flash

Might be some other issues, i.e., if you're using any 3rd-party anti-virus or malware apps. If it was working before, do you know what might have changed? Most commonly, Safari will notify you at the top of the browser if there's something wonky. Anytime I run into a similar issue with a web site, I use current version Firefox, and the web site then almost always plays nice.

Oct 19, 2019 6:37 PM in response to freezetag

Check signals on that --- not sure if Flash is only 32-bit for macOS, not seeing any definitive info on Adobe site. Windows installs both 32- and 64-bit Flash; macOS not so much? But for sure, as you note, the Flash download page / operating system does not include 10.15 Catalina. Making sure Flash allowed in Safari 13.0.2 and Catalina, I went to the Flash download page, checked that the animation was active - it was, even though the page said 'not running current version...'. So Flash does work in Catalina / Safari 13.0.2, just doesn't seem to have a current version download for Catalina. I turned Flash 'Off' for all Web sites upon installing Catalina in the first place. Can always Allow if a Web site just has to have it in Preferences. And I check 'Never' in System Preferences as far as checking for Flash updates. More & more Web sites are using HTML5 instead of Flash. And Flash is slated for the obsolete bin sooner than later, I believe.

Dec 18, 2019 1:37 PM in response to -DaveD

So how does one get to see flash content on Catalina? Many websites I'm going to on my new iMac are showing a popup saying "This website has Flash content that needs Adobe Flash Player plugin" with a Download button. If Flash doesn't operate on 64 bit Catalina, what's the point? If it's up to the website, can I point the webmasters to a link describing the required changes?

Dec 18, 2019 8:52 PM in response to freezetag

Well, there was nothing helpful on the Adobe site, however I found this from "Apple's Safari team" from 2017 on a Webkit page that explains a lot: https://webkit.org/blog/7839/adobe-announces-flash-distribution-and-updates-to-end/

I then downloaded Flash Player from Adobe, installed it, and enabled it in Safari Preferences under the "Websites" tab ("plugins" in the left-hand column). I then went back to one of the sites that contains old flash content, clicked on the "click to run Flash" place holder, selected "Run every time" button from the dropdown, and voila! Flash content displayed!

Turns out the Level 2 Apple Care support tech, who insisted "Catalina does NOT run Flash as it is 32 bit", who insisted "there's no one else to check with because [he] was the highest [I] could go at Apple", was full of crap, which I am finding far too frequently lately.

Catalina and Adobe Flash update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.