Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone lock sound linked to media volume instead of ringer volume.

I recently upgraded to an iPhone 7 Plus to a Xs Max that is running iOS 13 (currently 13.1.3).

For 'Ringers and alert', I always have 'change with buttons' enabled.

With my 7 Plus, the volume of the lock sound was always linked to whatever volume the ringer was adjusted to. That is, if my ringer volume was very low (adjusted with the volume buttons), then when I locked my phone the volume of the lock click was low, and vice versa.

With my Xs Max, however, the volume of the lock click reflects whatever I have the volume set to when watching a video. As I often have the volume up quite high when watching videos, this translates into an extremely annoying very loud lock click.

The issue is demonstrated in the YouTube link: https://youtu.be/fuKCPe5JLCw

This doesn't happen with the my iPhone 7 Plus or my girlfriend's X, both running iOS 13, so something appears to have gone amiss with the way iOS 13 handles audio on my Xs Max.

Anybody else having the same problem?

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 7:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2019 3:00 PM

Update: An alternative fix has been found (published as a comment on my YouTube video).

Rather than deleting your bank card(s) from your Apple Pay wallet, go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay, then turn off 'Double-Click Side Button'. That should resolve the sound issue. You won't be able to launch wallet with a double-click anymore, however, Apple Pay should still launch automatically when you bring your phone near a contactless reader.

If you have this lock click volume issue, please take a moment to report the bug to Apple using the link below. They won't fix it if they don't know about it. https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2019 3:00 PM in response to JonBOY26

Update: An alternative fix has been found (published as a comment on my YouTube video).

Rather than deleting your bank card(s) from your Apple Pay wallet, go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay, then turn off 'Double-Click Side Button'. That should resolve the sound issue. You won't be able to launch wallet with a double-click anymore, however, Apple Pay should still launch automatically when you bring your phone near a contactless reader.

If you have this lock click volume issue, please take a moment to report the bug to Apple using the link below. They won't fix it if they don't know about it. https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Nov 27, 2019 11:06 PM in response to imma-rage-quit

HOLY S%$T! Looks like that's it! I added a credit card to my Apple Pay wallet a while ago, but wasn't able to correlate the issue to Apple pay as I only added a card after jumping to a new phone.

I just deleted my card from my Apple Pay wallet (I only had one card entered) and the issue was immediately gone. Volume of the lock sound is no longer tied to the volume bar in the control centre, and is now tied to the volume of ringer again. I didn't even have to restart the phone.

Thank you very much for making your post, it's been very helpful as I'm pretty sure we've nail down the issue! I'll add my card back again and see whether the issue returns to try and confirm.

Oct 20, 2019 7:23 PM in response to JonBOY26

So to troubleshoot this issue I put my phone into DFU mode then did a full software restore with iOS 13.1.3. At first the issues was resolved, but after a short while (hour or so) the lock sound had reverted back to being linked to the media volume, rather than the ringer volume.

Going to take it into an Apple store I think, to see what one of the geniuses have to say. Sigh.

Nov 27, 2019 9:57 PM in response to JonBOY26

I just found out this morning that I have the exact same issue. I have been upgraded to iOS 13 for a while and didn’t have this problem until today.

The only major thing I did last night with the iPhone was adding a bank card to Apple Pay for the first time. I don’t know if this bug is related the Apple Pay app, but hopefully this will give some more information to the Apple engineers because this is a very annoying issue for me as well

Nov 27, 2019 11:34 PM in response to JonBOY26

FIX CONFIRMED!

I added my bank card back into my wallet and the problem immediately returned. I deleted it again, gone. I then added a different bank card to my Apple Pay wallet and the problem immediately came back, which indicates that the issue is not specific to a particular bank card.

So, this one appears to be solved, at least in terms of understanding what's causing the sound issue, and we now need to get this on Apple's radar so they develop a permeant fix. Now that I've had to delete my card from my wallet, I'll have to revert to actually carrying a physical wallet :(

Dec 10, 2019 3:06 PM in response to JonBOY26

I just installed iOS 13.3 and can confirm that the Apple Pay lock sound bug in NOT fixed, unfortunately.

Additionally, for those who have disabled 'double click side button' within Apple Pay, to prevent the sound issue, be aware that 'double click side button' automatically re-enables during the install of iOS 13.3. So, you'll need to go back and disable it again.

Please keep submitting to feedback to Apple on this issue using 'Feedback Assistant.app' (do a Spotlight search).

Dec 10, 2019 3:51 PM in response to JonBOY26

The plot thickens.

I've been reading other posts where people have found that disabling Siri alleviates similar volume issues related to notifications. So I set up my Xs Max (iOS 13.3) so that the sound issue was occurring (ie bank card added to my Wallter and 'double-click side button' enabled within Wallet & Apple Pay) and I tried disabling 'Press side Button for Siri'. The lock sound bug was immediately alleviated. So something is definitely wrong with the way the side button is currently setup/programmed.

Another thing: I just noticed that my lock click volume bug does not occur when my phone is connected to my bluetooth headphones. Just throwing that info in on the off chance that an Apple engineer comes reading through this thread.

Dec 10, 2019 6:45 PM in response to imma-rage-quit

"So you mean if I add a bank card, then disable side-button Siri, the lock sound volume bug would be gone?"

yes, it should be. That's how it was working for me, even with 'Double-Click Side Button' enabled in Wallet & Apple Pay.

I'm keeping Siri enabled as I use it, but am keeping Double-click side button disabled for Apple Pay, as Wallet automatically launches once you bring your phone near a contactless payment terminal anyway.

iPhone lock sound linked to media volume instead of ringer volume.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.