Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen time passcode change did not sync with child’s phone

I noticed my child figured out the screen time passcode and had changed the set limits on their phone. So I went onto my device and changed the passcode under their name in family sharing. It did not change the passcode on their device and they are still able to override screen time with my old passcode. Why did the passcodes not sync?? HELP!

iPhone 8

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 9:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 10:57 AM

I have exactly the same issue as Safety-First and the link above does NOT address this issue. Screen Time Restrictions was working great UNTIL my son figured it out on his iPhone. So I did what Safety-First did and went to my screen time settings to reset the screen time passcode. It reset on my phone but the change did NOT sync to my son’s phone. There is no option on his phone to change it either w the new update. I have had to change passcodes in the past, just being proactive, and have never had this issue. Please Apple, no more links on how to set up screen time, I know that, how do I fix the syncing issue!!

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2019 10:57 AM in response to chris_g1

I have exactly the same issue as Safety-First and the link above does NOT address this issue. Screen Time Restrictions was working great UNTIL my son figured it out on his iPhone. So I did what Safety-First did and went to my screen time settings to reset the screen time passcode. It reset on my phone but the change did NOT sync to my son’s phone. There is no option on his phone to change it either w the new update. I have had to change passcodes in the past, just being proactive, and have never had this issue. Please Apple, no more links on how to set up screen time, I know that, how do I fix the syncing issue!!

Dec 1, 2019 4:01 AM in response to Jrboots

I think this is an issue since iOS 13 ... I can change my kids passcode from my device but it does not change on theirs. And they have figured out their passcodes so I can’t lock them out of their devices. The changes I make are not syncing across the family device control platform and both kids have figured out their passcodes ...

Dec 15, 2019 11:53 PM in response to pdxmarsh

FIXED!

I was able to re-enable the passcode sync on my child’s iPhone following these steps

On the parent device:

1) Open Settings>Screen Time and choose the child account

2) Tap Turn Off Screen Time

3) On the child device open Settings>Screen Time

4) Like the instructions on the page that Apple shared earlier in the thread: follow the prompts until you get to Parent Passcode and enter a passcode. Re-enter the passcode to confirm.

5) Back on the parent device I was able to change the passcode a few times and each time it synced on the child’s device.

I hope this helps my fellow parents!

Oct 25, 2019 1:38 PM in response to Safety-first

Hello Safety-first,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities,

I understand that you are concerned about the Screen Time and passcode features on your child's device. The following guide offers steps in the Set Content & Privacy Restrictions section that should be helpful:

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Best regards.

Screen time passcode change did not sync with child’s phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.