Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Launchpad stuck 'installing'

I am running Catalina and had to subscribe to Microsoft Office 365 as Microsoft Office 2011 is no longer supported.

Since Installing Microsoft Office 365 there is a blank installation bar under the Launchpad icon in the dock and when I hover over the icon it shows 'Launchpad Installing'

When I go into Launchpad one of the icons to do with Microsoft ( "Microsoft ...ianSpeller") shows an almost complete installation bar with "428,1 MB of 428.1 MB" underneath.

Microsoft Office 365 applications appear to be working

How can I resolve this Launchpad hang?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 2:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2019 3:16 PM

Hi, Mahrud!

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand from your post that LaunchPad is showing it's installing one of the Microsoft Office 365 apps, but all of the apps appear to be working. I'm happy to help!

There could be a number of things going on, and in order to troubleshoot and resolve this particular situation I would recommend going through the following steps. Try them in order, checking to see if LaunchPad still shows installing after each step:

1. Quit any open Microsoft apps: Quit apps on Mac - Apple Support then restart your Mac: How to turn your Mac on or off - Apple Support.
  2. See if LaunchPad still shows installing in safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support.
  3. See if you still see LaunchPad installing in a new, test user: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support.

Enjoy your weekend!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2019 3:16 PM in response to mahrud

Hi, Mahrud!

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand from your post that LaunchPad is showing it's installing one of the Microsoft Office 365 apps, but all of the apps appear to be working. I'm happy to help!

There could be a number of things going on, and in order to troubleshoot and resolve this particular situation I would recommend going through the following steps. Try them in order, checking to see if LaunchPad still shows installing after each step:

1. Quit any open Microsoft apps: Quit apps on Mac - Apple Support then restart your Mac: How to turn your Mac on or off - Apple Support.
  2. See if LaunchPad still shows installing in safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support.
  3. See if you still see LaunchPad installing in a new, test user: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support.

Enjoy your weekend!

Launchpad stuck 'installing'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.