Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pencil battery life

I recently bought an iPad Pro and Gen 2 pencil. I have noticed that if the pencil is not attached to the iPad and just sitting there it looses roughly 2% of its charge per hour. Is that due to BT trying to connect? Or does the pencil battery just work that way?

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 7:40 AM

6 replies

Oct 20, 2019 6:26 PM in response to DesertRatR

You can drain the Apple Pencil down to 10%, if you so choose.

You will need to disconnect the Pencil from Bluetooth to keep the Pencil from draining faster on Bluetooth.

FYI and something Apple never divulges to it potential iPad Pro/Apple Pencil customers/users unless the potential customer/user is smart enough to ask about.

Due to the “always on and active/standby” nature of the Apple Pencil and, also, due to its very tiny rechargeable Li-ion battery (smaller than the eraser head on a REAL wooden pencil), the Apple Pencil needs to be constantly charged up to some significant charge level ALL THE TIME, even when not using the Pencil for prolonged periods of time.

The Apple Pencil needs to be kept charged to a minimum of 5-10% all the time.

If the Apple Pencil battery is allowed to drain down to 0% and allowed to stay in that flat condition for more than a few weeks, or so, OR EVEN LONGER, that very tiny little Li-ion battery is too small to keep at a 0% state for a long period of time and it will fail and the Apple Pencil will be dead and you may have to “pop” for another $99 Apple Pencil, once again!

You need to keep your Apple Pencil charged all the time, even if it is only to 10%-15% charge. It must keep some charge level in that tiny Lithium-ion battery at all times!

Oct 24, 2019 4:13 PM in response to MichelPM

I discovered something interesting. A couple times this week I left my pencil at home while I was out of the house all day with my iPad. When I got back I hooked up the pencil and it indicated 100% charge. That would seem to imply that if the pencil can't connect to the iPad then it shuts down. In that case the battery would only very slowly drain, as all LiON batteries will over time.

In the OP I had the battery sitting on a table near the iPad for several hours. So its was mated to the iPad, and ver such alive while just sitting there. Even if doing nothing the radio link will radiate away power.

Pencil battery life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.