Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac desktop is stuck on restarting. Over and over

What does this mean.—Recovery sever could not be contacted

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 5:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 9:19 AM

It would be helpful to get a better understanding of the specific model of iMac you have, what version of macOS was installed on it when it last worked, and any recent actions that were taken with the iMac just prior to the restarting issue occurring. Unfortunately there's not much information to work with so my suggestions have to be very basic.

When do you see the message saying the recovery server could not be contacted? Does this message appear and then the iMac restarts?

The 'recovery server could not be contacted' message indicates to me that your iMac isn't connected to the internet. Do you have access to a direct ethernet connection to the internet that you can try? Once connected to the internet, try entering macOS Recovery mode by holding down the Command (⌘)-R keys.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Also consider resetting the NVRAM to see if it makes any difference in the rebooting issue.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If you continue to experience problems please provide a more detailed description of the issue and the steps that led up to it occurring.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2019 9:19 AM in response to kalliegrl

It would be helpful to get a better understanding of the specific model of iMac you have, what version of macOS was installed on it when it last worked, and any recent actions that were taken with the iMac just prior to the restarting issue occurring. Unfortunately there's not much information to work with so my suggestions have to be very basic.

When do you see the message saying the recovery server could not be contacted? Does this message appear and then the iMac restarts?

The 'recovery server could not be contacted' message indicates to me that your iMac isn't connected to the internet. Do you have access to a direct ethernet connection to the internet that you can try? Once connected to the internet, try entering macOS Recovery mode by holding down the Command (⌘)-R keys.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Also consider resetting the NVRAM to see if it makes any difference in the rebooting issue.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If you continue to experience problems please provide a more detailed description of the issue and the steps that led up to it occurring.

Mac desktop is stuck on restarting. Over and over

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.