Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"LinkScannerAgent" will damage your computer. You should move it to the trash.

I keep getting the error message '"LinkScannerAgent" will damage your computer. You should move it to the trash.' coming up on my screen. I have two options: either hit "move to trash" or "cancel". Both get rid of the message, which immediately comes back in the center of my screen. If I hit "move to trash", nothing actually gets moved to my bin. I have tried restarting my computer with no help. This happened as soon as I upgraded to Catalina, but it allowed me to find the target files and erase them. With this "LinkScannerAgent", it does not allow me to do anything. I have tried scanning for malware and nothing is ever found, so I am stumped.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 5:58 PM

I actually was stubborn and figured it out! LinkScannerAgent is the name of the old AVG Link Scanner application that you would have downloaded in an old OSX. So all you need to do is type LinkScannerAgent into your applications folder and delete the app. OSX Catalina sees it as a threat because it is not compatible with the current system. So basically what the new OSX is doing is flagging any old applications that now do not work as threats.... Nice one, Apple.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2019 5:58 PM in response to MickyJEng

I actually was stubborn and figured it out! LinkScannerAgent is the name of the old AVG Link Scanner application that you would have downloaded in an old OSX. So all you need to do is type LinkScannerAgent into your applications folder and delete the app. OSX Catalina sees it as a threat because it is not compatible with the current system. So basically what the new OSX is doing is flagging any old applications that now do not work as threats.... Nice one, Apple.

"LinkScannerAgent" will damage your computer. You should move it to the trash.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.