Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TV app - Can't change video quality

In MacOS Catalina, in the new TV app, in the menu bar, when I click Video>Video Quality, nothing happens..no menu opens, no window pops up, nothing happens. Anyone else not able to change the video quality of tv episodes or movies?

In MacOS Mojave, with iTunes, the same menu gave me options, one of them being 1080p. In iTunes, the default HD video quality was 720p, so I always changed an HD tv episode or HD movie to 1080p from the menu bar before I watched it..sometimes it made a noticeable difference.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 9:08 AM

Hey Steel Dragon,

I looked at this with TV and my library and the results varied. One movie I owned didn’t allow me to change the video quality at all. The option was greyed out. Another let me change it and it seemed to work but another didn’t. This may vary depending on what’s being played.

If you have questions about a specific movie or TV shows’s quality and ability to change this, you may want to reach out to Apple Support so they can look into this with you:

Contact Apple Support 

Best wishes.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2019 9:08 AM in response to Steel Dragon

Hey Steel Dragon,

I looked at this with TV and my library and the results varied. One movie I owned didn’t allow me to change the video quality at all. The option was greyed out. Another let me change it and it seemed to work but another didn’t. This may vary depending on what’s being played.

If you have questions about a specific movie or TV shows’s quality and ability to change this, you may want to reach out to Apple Support so they can look into this with you:

Contact Apple Support 

Best wishes.

Oct 26, 2019 7:40 PM in response to Steel Dragon

Hey there Steel Dragon,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand you’re not able to change the video quality of the TV app in macOS Catalina. I’ll be happy to help with this.

Take a look at the Playback preferences in the app using the steps from this link:

Change Playback preferences in the Apple TV app on Mac

If you adjust the settings there, does this help at all?

Cheers.

TV app - Can't change video quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.