Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just updated my mac book pro to "Catalina" and my microsoft word no longer works!!! Help!!!

I just updated my mac book pro to "Catalina" and my microsoft word no longer works!!! Help!!!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 5:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 5:14 AM

Catalina does not support 32-bit applications, so if you are using Office 2008/2011 for Mac, these are done on Catalina, and you will have to upgrade to either the subscription-based Office 365, or the single-purchase Office 2019 for Mac. Another alternative is the free LIbreOffice Suite which is an MS Office clone. You will need Safely open apps on your Mac with the LibreOffice choice.

If you are already using Office 365, or single-purchase Office 2016 or Office 2019 versions on Catalina, then check for recent updates as Microsoft has encountered some issues, and potentially has newer updates available.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2019 5:14 AM in response to Little Guy Bri

Catalina does not support 32-bit applications, so if you are using Office 2008/2011 for Mac, these are done on Catalina, and you will have to upgrade to either the subscription-based Office 365, or the single-purchase Office 2019 for Mac. Another alternative is the free LIbreOffice Suite which is an MS Office clone. You will need Safely open apps on your Mac with the LibreOffice choice.

If you are already using Office 365, or single-purchase Office 2016 or Office 2019 versions on Catalina, then check for recent updates as Microsoft has encountered some issues, and potentially has newer updates available.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.