Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad mini 2 will not hold a charge. What should I do to fix it?

My iPad mini 2 is about 5years old. I have updated the iOS to version 12.4.2 recently and have purchased a new third party charger system. It will charge to 100%, but now it will not hold a charge for more than 2 or 3 hours. What can I do to fix it? Does it need a new battery? Should I just give up and buy a new IPad?

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 6:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 6:16 AM

Batteries only last a certain number of cycles (number of times that you charge it.) Additionally the battery cells slowly degrade over time. So what you are experiencing is probably normal for the amount of time that you've had the iPad and used it.

A battery replacement should fix the issue you have been experiencing.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2019 6:16 AM in response to Lovemyipad4324

Batteries only last a certain number of cycles (number of times that you charge it.) Additionally the battery cells slowly degrade over time. So what you are experiencing is probably normal for the amount of time that you've had the iPad and used it.

A battery replacement should fix the issue you have been experiencing.

Oct 21, 2019 3:55 PM in response to Lovemyipad4324

Apple specify that the iPad battery should retain 80% of its original capacity after 1000 full charge/discharge cycles (NB, by contrast, iPhone is “only” rated at 80% after 500 full charge/discharge cycles).

Your ipad mini2 with A7 processor is still very usable, however, you should consider that it is unlikely to receive much (if any) ongoing security updates. Whilst the A7-based devices still have reasonable utility, you might not want to invest good money on a hardware platform that is already 5 years old; cash spent on replacing the battery might be better invested on a newer - more powerful - iPad model.

The cost of an official battery replacement for your mini2 will be going-on towards a third of the cost of the current entry-level iPad - which will seriously outperform your iPad mini2.

Hope this helps with your thought processes.

Oct 21, 2019 4:26 PM in response to Lovemyipad4324

If you can’t afford to purchase a new iPad, a battery replacement is $99 U.S.D., plus tax and is the cheapest way to get your current iPad back up and running.

FYI, Apple stores do not repair or replace batteries in iPads.

If your iPad is in good shape csometically, Apple Stores will offer you a replacement/refurbished iPad for the $99 U.S.D. battery replacement fee, in lieu of an actual iPad battery replacement.

My iPad mini 2 will not hold a charge. What should I do to fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.