Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad is on the WiFi network but can't connect to the internet — but my iPhone can.

Same Wifi network. Devices are right next to each other. Turned off cell data on the iPhone so I know it is actually using wifi. What is going on? I have rebooted both devices and the router repeatedly. Recently updated iPad OS to 13.1.3 so suspect it is the problem. However, I can't restore the iPad because I can't connect to iCloud to turn off Find My iPad -- Catch 22.

iPad Air 2, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 9:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 11:00 AM

I realize you are connecting to the network, but for some reason, the network is not providing the information necessary for the iPad to connect to the internet. That is the point I've been trying to make. You have said you already tried rebooting the router, so it has to be something else. I recommended another network to see if that network allows connection to the internet. I suggest you contact Apple Support at this point. You can try resetting the network settings on the iPad, but I'm not sure that will help. From there, I would say to contact Apple Support.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2019 11:00 AM in response to mvheim

I realize you are connecting to the network, but for some reason, the network is not providing the information necessary for the iPad to connect to the internet. That is the point I've been trying to make. You have said you already tried rebooting the router, so it has to be something else. I recommended another network to see if that network allows connection to the internet. I suggest you contact Apple Support at this point. You can try resetting the network settings on the iPad, but I'm not sure that will help. From there, I would say to contact Apple Support.

Oct 21, 2019 10:44 AM in response to mvheim

I've never forgotten a network on my iPhone and have it sync that to my iPad. I'm not familiar with the operation of an Airport Extreme, so I cannot comment on that. Does this problem exist if you attempt to connect the iPad to another wi-fi network, such as at a coffee house, library, etc. or is this for all wi-fi networks on the iPad. If all, you may need to make a Genius Bar appointment at the nearest Apple store.

Oct 21, 2019 10:53 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

On the first point, I have both devices open to WiFi Settings, and I can watch the iPhone log off the network as soon as I tap "forget" on the iPad. So that is how it seems to work with this version of the OS.

For the other point, I don't have any other open networks within range. I would need to go drive somewhere. But the problem isn't the network — it connects to the Wifi network just fine, and the wifi network is connected to the internet, because the iPhone can access the internet. So I'm not sure what that will prove. Not to mention that the iPad was on the internet on the same network on Saturday. But I will try it later.

Oct 21, 2019 2:39 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I decided the Airport Extreme unit was malfunctioning. After multiple restarts, sometimes it worked for one device, sometimes for the other, sometimes neither. I did a full reset, and it generated an error message when I tried to set it up. I eventually got a WiFi network running, but it kept dropping. I removed it from my network and got everything running on the AT&T DSL router. The one downside is I no longer have a USB port for the printer, so now I have to leave a Mac on all the time for printer sharing. Thanks for the suggestions.

My iPad is on the WiFi network but can't connect to the internet — but my iPhone can.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.