Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Maps default map view

Why can I not change the default Apple Map view to “satellite”? Am I missing something here? I can change the view to satellite, but when I force close Maps then reopen the next day, default view has reset to “map” view.

I’ve been using Google Maps for years, but decided I wanted to give Apple Maps a chance. If I can’t change default map view setting, I guess I’m just going to delete Apple Maps and go back to Google Maps.

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 9:27 AM

Hello smreitz,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I understand Maps will automatically change back to the default view. I'll do what I can to help.

It should retain the Map view if you change it from the main Maps settings page.

1. Open Maps.
  2. Tap the 'i' icon
  3. Switch to 'Satellite' from 'Map'

If you find that Maps is still not retaining the satellite view, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

Delete built-in Apple apps on your iOS 12, iOS 13, or iPadOS device or Apple Watch

If it's still changing after that page, restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone

Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2019 9:27 AM in response to smreitz

Hello smreitz,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I understand Maps will automatically change back to the default view. I'll do what I can to help.

It should retain the Map view if you change it from the main Maps settings page.

1. Open Maps.
  2. Tap the 'i' icon
  3. Switch to 'Satellite' from 'Map'

If you find that Maps is still not retaining the satellite view, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

Delete built-in Apple apps on your iOS 12, iOS 13, or iPadOS device or Apple Watch

If it's still changing after that page, restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone

Take care.

Apple Maps default map view

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.