Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My time machine says two of my backup disks exist and it will no longer backup to the disk.

I'm trying to back up my disk using time machine (has been working for a long time). Now all of a sudden it gives me an error message that "Time Machine couldn't back up to the "Backup-Primary" and when I look for details, it says "Two of the disks to back up have the same name. Rename one of the disks name "Macintosh HD - Data."

Two of the disks don't have the same name. And there is a disk name Macintosh HD - Data, but no clue why it would be asking me to rename a disk to that name that already exists. Something seems corrupted.

Clueless

iMac Pro

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 7:42 AM

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities, Falcon16-75!

It sounds like you’re having an issue with Time Machine saying you have 2 disks with the same name. Please open your Applications then go to Utilities. Once you’ve opened Utilities, open Disk Utilities. When you open Disk Utilities, select one of the Macintosh  HD - Data volumes in the sidebar and look at the red circle with a minus sign ().

If this is greyed out and not clickable, it’s the active volume. If it’s clickable, then this is the volume you can remove. Click the red circle to remove it. Once that is done, attempt another Time Machine backup.

Let me know the results and take care!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2019 7:42 AM in response to Falcon16-75

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities, Falcon16-75!

It sounds like you’re having an issue with Time Machine saying you have 2 disks with the same name. Please open your Applications then go to Utilities. Once you’ve opened Utilities, open Disk Utilities. When you open Disk Utilities, select one of the Macintosh  HD - Data volumes in the sidebar and look at the red circle with a minus sign ().

If this is greyed out and not clickable, it’s the active volume. If it’s clickable, then this is the volume you can remove. Click the red circle to remove it. Once that is done, attempt another Time Machine backup.

Let me know the results and take care!

My time machine says two of my backup disks exist and it will no longer backup to the disk.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.