Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error code: 92

Hey,

So I tried backing up my computer with Time Machine. I have an external harddrive that connects to my Mac Air via USB. I'm getting an "Error code: 92" whenever I try to back it up. I don't know anything about error codes at all. I safely disconnected my drive and restarted and it's still the same error message. Any suggestions? Please state the steps as clearly as you can. I'm a complete newb.

Thanks

MacBook Air 11", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 1:42 AM

I had the same problem after upgrading to MacOS Catalina (10.15.1)

I do my backups to a Synology NAS via Wifi without problem. After upgrading to Catalina the first backup was OK, but after all I got the "Error code: 92" message. The next backups were unsuccessful.

I have solved the problem this way:

• Login to Terminal with administrator rights.

• List local Time Machine backups with this command:

tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

• Delete local backups:

tmutil deletelocalsnapshots /

After all the next backup was successful!

I hope it helps!

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2019 1:42 AM in response to ErrorCode92

I had the same problem after upgrading to MacOS Catalina (10.15.1)

I do my backups to a Synology NAS via Wifi without problem. After upgrading to Catalina the first backup was OK, but after all I got the "Error code: 92" message. The next backups were unsuccessful.

I have solved the problem this way:

• Login to Terminal with administrator rights.

• List local Time Machine backups with this command:

tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

• Delete local backups:

tmutil deletelocalsnapshots /

After all the next backup was successful!

I hope it helps!

Oct 30, 2019 4:38 PM in response to brenden dv

I'm sorry, maybe it's my fault for not being specific enough. I will try and remedy this. I am not "trying to create" a Time Machine backup. I had been using a Time Machine backup, quite successfully, for many years. It was immediately after updating my computer to Catalina where I could no longer back up my computer and the error code 92 popped up. Nothing about my backup procedure had changed in any way besides the OS update. After reading through some forums online, it appears I may not be the only user with this problem.

Oct 28, 2019 10:01 AM in response to ErrorCode92

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities ErrorCode92,

I see that you're getting an error code when trying to create a Time Machine backup. I know how important it is to be able to backup your data, and I'd be happy to provide you with some information that can help.

Take a look at the following two articles with some great troubleshooting steps that can help if you're having an issue creating a Time Machine backup.

Time Machine troubleshooting on Mac

If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine

If you go through these articles and the issue still remains, you'll want to reach out to Apple Support.

Get Support

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Nov 17, 2019 2:37 AM in response to rebelofladysbridge

I'm still having this issue. Apple, this is horribly annoying!!! After I changed the quota on the NAS (to unlimited, 4TB free!!), it worked for a few days and then came back to stay! No idea what else I could do!

No problems with iCloud Drive though... Maybe try resetting the iCloud accounts as described for the Apple Music Topic, might solve other AppleID related issues as well: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250828009?answerId=251639444022#251639444022

Apple, please fix TM!!!

Nov 5, 2019 11:15 AM in response to Jayeffess

Same here– Catalina 10.15.1 and now persistently getting "Error code 92"! ***** badly! I'm backing up to a Synology NAS with the latest DSM installed. And nope, I don't think that's the problem, as others reported this error on various targets (all Catalina though!!)

Please fix or help to solve, Apple!

Thanks,

Marco

Nov 14, 2019 1:10 AM in response to MaBi

I also am having this issue with the same Error Code 92.

I have used two different external hard drives. The initial backup will work fine and is successful. The subsequent backups will return the error code.

I am concurrently having issues with iCloud Drive not syncing after updating (clean install) to 10.15.1.

Just wondering if the issue is related to iCloud Drive ?

Error code: 92

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.