Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hot Spot Connectivity Issue

After updating iOS13, there are connectivity issues in Mobile Hot Spot. My laptop(HP) gets connected to iPhone6s but shows no internet connectivity but we can use the same on iPhone 6S very smoothly

The issues persists in all phones after update, I have check with other 2 Phones, one being iPhone 6S and 2nd one being iPhone 8

Pls resolve the issue asap

iPhone 6s, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 12:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 9:52 AM

It's a problem with DHCP in the iOS.

After connecting to the hotspot, open a command prompt window ("black box" = cmd.exe program) on the PC and run this command (type it after the C:\users\yourname> then hit enter)

ipconfig /all

Find the chunk of info that belongs to your wireless adapter

You will note that probably the IPv4 address given there is the one that you use for your office or home network, and that gateway is empty. It's normal that the PC will try and maintain the same IP address for you "hi, this is my IP I want to use", but the DHCP server on a different network (unless it coincidentally has the same configuration and that IP is not in use by another user) should reply back with "sorry, I can't let you use that IP, here's another one". That is not happening in this case - something broke this communication in v 13

To fix, now run each of these commands, hitting enter after typing each one:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

What this does it make Windows NOT attempt to reuse the same IP, and instead start the conversation with "hi, can I have an IP?" to which the DHCP server will dutifully give you a new one in the correct subnet.

For example, in our case, the PC wanted to reuse 192.168.2.109 and the DHCP service on the phones gives IPs in 172.20.10.x

If this helps you, I would appreciate if you can post back to answer MY questions about this?

• ipad or iphone and what IP range did you get (I am wanting to know if 172.20.10.x is same on all ?)
  • how long is the lease ? (after connection succeeded, do ipconfig /all and look at the lease obtained/expired times)
  • is it a one-time fix or you have to release/renew again if you connected back to office/home wifi then to phone hotspot again ?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2019 9:52 AM in response to sumesh65

It's a problem with DHCP in the iOS.

After connecting to the hotspot, open a command prompt window ("black box" = cmd.exe program) on the PC and run this command (type it after the C:\users\yourname> then hit enter)

ipconfig /all

Find the chunk of info that belongs to your wireless adapter

You will note that probably the IPv4 address given there is the one that you use for your office or home network, and that gateway is empty. It's normal that the PC will try and maintain the same IP address for you "hi, this is my IP I want to use", but the DHCP server on a different network (unless it coincidentally has the same configuration and that IP is not in use by another user) should reply back with "sorry, I can't let you use that IP, here's another one". That is not happening in this case - something broke this communication in v 13

To fix, now run each of these commands, hitting enter after typing each one:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

What this does it make Windows NOT attempt to reuse the same IP, and instead start the conversation with "hi, can I have an IP?" to which the DHCP server will dutifully give you a new one in the correct subnet.

For example, in our case, the PC wanted to reuse 192.168.2.109 and the DHCP service on the phones gives IPs in 172.20.10.x

If this helps you, I would appreciate if you can post back to answer MY questions about this?

• ipad or iphone and what IP range did you get (I am wanting to know if 172.20.10.x is same on all ?)
  • how long is the lease ? (after connection succeeded, do ipconfig /all and look at the lease obtained/expired times)
  • is it a one-time fix or you have to release/renew again if you connected back to office/home wifi then to phone hotspot again ?

Nov 8, 2019 6:20 AM in response to JJD_Ottawa

I had the same issue and the fix from JJD_Ottawa worked for me. Thank you so much!

Here are my answers to your questions:

• IP range of my iPhone: 172.20.10.x
  • lease duration: 23h 45min
  • The fix seems to be permanent (at least it has been working perfectly for 10 minutes despite the fact that I switched back and forward between my home wifi and my iPhone and restarted my computer during this time)

Hot Spot Connectivity Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.