Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying for Apple Lossless audio but getting lossy audio

For music downloads from iTunes, I had my Import Settings set to Import Using 'Apple Lossless Encoder' (ALAC), which is a compressed but lossless audio format. On reviewing some of my recent track downloads, I noticed they were in Advanced Audio Coding (ACC) format, which is compressed but lossy. I did not manage to get any explanation from Apple; I was on to their 3rd tier of support by then and missing their phone calls.

I am lucky enough to have a hifi system that is sensitive enough so that poor quality source material, either in recording, production, format or a combination of these, is quite noticeable, so the lossless audio is important.

It's possible I am missing something fundamental here, so I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has noticed this and resolved it with Apple, or has some more information. BTW, deleting and then attempting to re-download a track in a lossless format does not resolve the problem.

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 1:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 1:43 AM

The iTunes Store sells music in 256K AAC format. Import settings controls what format is used for content ripped from CD or when an audio file is converted to a new format, it doesn't control the quality of downloads from the iTunes Store. Converting to a new format clearly cannot improve quality, even if it results in a larger file. There are a few sites selling lossless audio, but iTunes isn't one of them.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2019 1:43 AM in response to Nutzz

The iTunes Store sells music in 256K AAC format. Import settings controls what format is used for content ripped from CD or when an audio file is converted to a new format, it doesn't control the quality of downloads from the iTunes Store. Converting to a new format clearly cannot improve quality, even if it results in a larger file. There are a few sites selling lossless audio, but iTunes isn't one of them.

tt2

Trying for Apple Lossless audio but getting lossy audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.