Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reinstall Yosemite from USB without losing data

I currently have Yosemite on my mid 2009 macbook pro.

I have a complete copy of Yosemite on a usb.

I would like to reinstall a copy without losing any data.

Is it possible to use this to do it.

I don't mean use it as a bootable usb and then try to do it via apples connecting to the internet etc.

Many thanks.

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.10

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 3:45 AM

7 replies

Oct 22, 2019 5:05 AM in response to DoogyDawg

Hello DoogyDawg;

To reinstall MacOS from your working device to a different device or the same one without losing any data.

Let me know if you need any kind of reply.

Thank you for looking this discussion…

Sincerely,

🙂 Yashmaan Sharma | Computer Programmer

Oct 23, 2019 2:19 AM in response to DoogyDawg

Sad to read that DoogyDawg;

You want to repair the problem that causes your 3rd party applications to crash, freeze or has bugs. Well there can be many reasons for that. Like: Your MacOS is corrupted, your drive condition is poor, your DMG file is broken or could be permission attempts cause addressing issues.

My suggestion is:

• Try to visit a service station that they can check your hardware damages.
  • Run only genuine programs.
  • Find the error codes from Console.app or from app itself & seach for its solution. This may provide you better examination of every unresponsive apps.
  • Do a fresh install from a new MacOS file if you want. May be your USB drive has corrupted MacOS file. Or that backup you make of your current OS is not as good. I know it's the worst way to fix a Mac.
  • Use web based programs or try windows if necessary. I use windows on Mac & it works prity well for those programs that lags on Mac. Also run those emulated softwares on browsers that doesn't support my Mac.

Let me know if you need any kind of reply.

Oct 23, 2019 1:47 AM in response to yashmaanjs

Ok.

Sorry to sound so dim.

The copy of Yosemite on the USB is what I used to do a clean install a good while back.

The thing that has started to happen on my mac now is that each time I try to install any software I get there is a problem and are unable to do it (or words to that effect) It then closes down.

I have even tried uninstalling and reinstalling software/apps that I al ready have.

I have tried everything I can thing of.

Reading from the links you were kind enough to post I cannot see how to do it (well I can't follow it).

I think that something is corrupt in my current one.

This is the reason I would like to reinstall.

If I back up my current data and then use that to reinstall won't it just reinstall the corrupted version?

Sorry to be a pain.

The only option I get when I go cmd-R is to to a complete fresh install which means it would wipe all my current data/software?

reinstall Yosemite from USB without losing data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.