Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AEServer explained

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos_release_notes/macos_catalina_10_15_release_notes

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 11:37 AM

I’m sorry, but this is too much info for me to decipher. I want to know if AEServer is proper to be on my Mac mini? It is a Unix executable under Support and allows apps to control my computer. Yet, when I search under support.apple.com there is nothing about it. Why, would a Microsoft product be necessary?

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2019 11:37 AM in response to CurtFell

I’m sorry, but this is too much info for me to decipher. I want to know if AEServer is proper to be on my Mac mini? It is a Unix executable under Support and allows apps to control my computer. Yet, when I search under support.apple.com there is nothing about it. Why, would a Microsoft product be necessary?

Dec 20, 2019 2:33 AM in response to cvilleb

If as you indicate, this is a feature for the developer community, then excuse my naivety but the proportion of IOS users doing development must be very small. Can't Apple limit development capabilities to versions dedicated to that purpose whilst for the majority of us use runtime versions Only? Today we all have to take the burden of the rapidly increasing size and processing complexity of the operating systems on our ageing devices. . If there is an optional development extension we limit the operating systems size and processing and don't need to have these features appearing in our security lists. I appreciate in this case AEServer is not enabled but we end up wasting time chasing this up when we discover them suddenly appearing in the privacy apps approvals list. Have a special full version for developers which they can accept/register for when loading updates?

Aug 30, 2020 3:09 PM in response to CurtFell

This thread led me to a very interesting discovery (and a solution to a totally different problem):

I had a system at work where it had become totally impossible to connect with via screen sharing (VNC). I've been working with Macs for a lot of years and am a pretty competent system admin and troubleshooter and this had me stumped, especially when the problem was inherited when I migrated the system to a newer computer.

I stumbled onto this thread while I was googling some log entries that were puzzling and saw AEServer sitting unchecked in my Privacy preferences panel. I enabled it and, goes what, the system now connects for screen sharing like immediately!

My sincere thanks to @doHernandez or pointing me in the right direction to solve this mystery!

Ric

Dec 21, 2019 10:11 AM in response to CurtFell

Just to chime in,

Apple Events are part of the macOS, not just a development tool. Remote Apple Events has been a thing on Apple platforms for decades. Go to System Preferences > Sharing and you can turn it off there. You can also leave it unchecked in System Preferences > Privacy...

In short if you googled "AEServer Mac", Keep Calm and Just Disable it.

Dec 14, 2019 4:18 PM in response to CurtFell

It's very simply put this way by Apple:

Overview

The macOS 10.15

SDK provides support for developing apps for Macs running macOS Catalina

10.15. The SDK comes bundled with Xcode 11 available from the Mac App

Store. For information on the compatibility requirements for Xcode 11,

see Xcode 11 Release Notes.

General

Known Issues

• During
  • installation of macOS 10.15 you might be prompted to enter your
  • administrator password multiple times to allow installation to proceed.
  • (51206649)

Deprecations

• macOS frameworks are now thinned for the x86-64 architecture. Apps that execute i386 code now fail with the EBADARCH error code. The remaining stub frameworks are nonfunctional and exist only for compatibility purposes. (51236070)

AirDrop

Known Issues

AppleEvents

New Features

• To
  • enhance security, AppleEvents and AppleScripts that target an app on a
  • remote system must authenticate as the same user on the remote system.
  • An AppleEvent that targets an app running as a different user receives a
  • procNotFound error.
  • To allow remote AppleEvents to target apps in any user session, run the following command in Terminal on the server:
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AEServer RestrictAccessToUserSession -bool false
  • Then disable and reenable Remote Apple Events in System Preferences > Sharing. (5353592)

May 24, 2020 12:49 PM in response to mwill11416

@mwill11416. AEServer is a function initiated by developers is true. However, if you notice it talks about remote access/apple events. An example of this would be "Find my Mac" or if you were going to update a group of computers with an update at the same time. Sometimes purchased software may offer some form of sharing to other computers. Based on what I read these would all be a function of AEServer. BUT... If you haven't enabled "Find My Mac" nor want access to your Mac from another computer/device then just "uncheck" the box next to AEServer. Don't remove it, because you may find doing so impedes some feature you hadn't previously thought of as remote access.

Hope this helps!

Nov 25, 2019 6:10 AM in response to cvilleb

I guess AEServer shorts for AppleEventServer, not Microsoft. I also make guess that you can disable it from Security -> Accessibility, to not allow it to control you mini.

Based on release notes though I also guess that if your user on Mac#1 is Jim and on Mac#2 you have Jim and Jane, to remotely from mac#1 to run script commands in Jane's account at Mac#2, you would need to do the trick explained on Mac#2. But as I do not use the feature and have it disabled on all Mac's , I cannot verify.

Sep 8, 2020 8:15 PM in response to doHernandez

Im not debating or disbelieve this answer... but if this server has been here for decades then why does it tell me this file or "server" is a file that was created (and compressed...) over a year after this computer was released and then sent to a folder where it remains the only file...

It is a bit paranoid to question this, but I have had one other MacBook (2014- the ex broke it :() and it never did the weird things this one does. It also didn't do it as often. This computer freezes, display pixelizes, files delete on their own, files move on their own and duplicate, also these kinds of files all of a sudden appear after (or sometimes before) these problems occur and they scatter themselves among the computer in folders I cannot see normally or ever access... Its just weird for these necessary, normal, traditional (whatever) files and "servers" to appear well after I first set the computer up. Plus they take up an ungodly amounts of space. My "others" storage is over 10GB...

AEServer explained

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.