Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad Air 2 won't update to iPadOS 13

Hi people of the Apple Support Community,

My iPad Air 2 recently downloaded the update for iPadOS 13, but still won't install it. Every time I go to Settings>General>Software Update, It tells me it is downloaded, so I press the Install button. It shows "Verifying update" but then later on says that the "Request for verification" was unsuccessful and that I should "Try again" either now or later. Slightly confused, I'm not going to lie 😂

Hope someone can help to sort this!

Mike 😀

Some stats from the About section in settings:

• Capacity: 32 GB
  • Available: 1.15 GB
  • Software Version: 12.3.1

iPad Air 2, 12

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 10:13 AM

One thing I can tell you is that you probably don’t have enough fee space to install the update. You need more than 1.15GB of free space or it’s never going to work. Delete some content first.

If that still doesn’t work, delete the downloaded iOS software and start all over again. Go to Settings>General>iPad storage. Let the list of apps load. Swipe down to find the iOS update, tap on it, and delete it in the next screen. Download it again and try again.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2019 10:13 AM in response to M1ke_._

One thing I can tell you is that you probably don’t have enough fee space to install the update. You need more than 1.15GB of free space or it’s never going to work. Delete some content first.

If that still doesn’t work, delete the downloaded iOS software and start all over again. Go to Settings>General>iPad storage. Let the list of apps load. Swipe down to find the iOS update, tap on it, and delete it in the next screen. Download it again and try again.

Oct 22, 2019 10:18 AM in response to M1ke_._

You need to free up free data storage space on an iPad/iDevice, you need to start by backing up your iPad to either Apple's iCloud or by connecting your iDevice to a computer running the latest iTunes and/or some other offsite, “cloud” data storage/backup services, like Google Drive/Photos, DropBox, BOX, Amazon Cloud Drive, Flickr ( for photos/images ), etc.

Then, delete any installed apps that you no longer use or use infrequently enough that they aren't missed ( you can always reinstalled any purchased or free apps at some time later, as you need them ).

Thin out/delete any music/videos/movies/TV shows/images/eBooks/eMagazine/iBooks/audio books/Documents/PDFs, etc.

If you use a POP email account on your iPad, delete/thin out any old saved emails that maybe saved to your iPad.

To permanently delete photos/images off of your iDevice go into the Photos app and find the Recently Deleted folder/album and permanently delete any photos/images stored in that folder/album.

Also, you can check to see what stuff is eating up all your valuable data storage space by going into the Settings App,,General Settings Panel, in the right hand column, tap Storage & iCloud usage panel ( in iOS 11, it’s iPad Storage ), in the top Storage Panel, tap the Manage Storage panel, wait for a list of apps to generate that will tell you how much space each app is taking up on your iDevice.

Then, do a hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your

iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

iDevices need to maintain, at the very least, a minimum of between 2-3 GBs of free data storage space, AT ALL

TIMES, to insure normal/nominal functionalities/operation and general overall performance of any iDevice.

My iPad Air 2 won't update to iPadOS 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.