Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight

Hello, Apple community,

My name is Sergey.

I own 13-inch Macbook pro 2017 with Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports. And according to https://support.apple.com/13-inch-macbook-pro-display-backlight-service i have the same problem. But Apple service program covers MacBook pro 2016 year only.

It's strange why macs from 2017 are not covered by the repair program.

Is there any way to repair my mac to the repair program linked above and don't pay $650 for it?

Does anybody have the same problem with macbook pro 2017?

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 10:07 AM

5 replies

Oct 22, 2019 10:18 AM in response to SergeyPri

Hi Sergey,

It looks like they improved the backlight issue for your model of MacBook Pro, so if this happens it could be an issue relating to something else.

I'm afraid to say - as I have this Mac as well - that is might not be covered and so you might have to pay for the repair. (Saying this, it shows how much the repair scheme sucks)

If Apple do tell you that you definitely need to pay for it, then it could be an option to put money towards a new computer instead of repairing it.

I'm really sorry to hear about this.

Mike

Oct 22, 2019 11:15 AM in response to M1ke_._

> It looks like they improved the backlight issue for your model of MacBook Pro, so if this happens it could be an issue relating to something else.

The Apple support said the same, but as i know Apple denied the problem with macbook pro 2016 some years. So, if i have the same problem "Display backlight continuously or intermittently shows vertical bright areas along the entire bottom of the screen" and "Display backlight stops working completely" after open it more than some angle why its another problem?

Agree?

Sergey

Oct 22, 2019 11:25 AM in response to SergeyPri

> It looks like they improved the backlight issue for your model of MacBook Pro, so if this happens it could be an issue relating to something else.

The Apple support said the same, but as i know Apple denied the problem with macbook pro 2016 some years. So, if i have the same problem "Display backlight continuously or intermittently shows vertical bright areas along the entire bottom of the screen" and "Display backlight stops working completely" after open it more than some angle why its another problem?

Agree?

Update:

Heh, i found this: https://www.change.org/p/apple-fix-all-macbook-pro-2016-and-later-with-stage-light-effect-or-backlight-shutdown-flexgate

A lot of macbook pro 2016+ have the same problem, just check comments. It does not look like "they improved the backlight issue for your model of MacBook Pro".

Its very sad

Sergey

Oct 22, 2019 4:55 PM in response to SergeyPri

I own a 15 inch Macbook Pro 2016. For my 15-inch, I am affected by this backlight issue. Apple told me only 13-inch are covered for this issue as the issue is not common for 15-inch. You can try to contact their support again if yours is a 13-inch. I asked around some of the 3rd party repair shops and this issue is quite prevalent for BOTH 13 and 15 inch Macbook Pro 2016

13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.