Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to convert wmv2 or 3/Windows Media 7, 8 or 9 videos to mp4s?

In the process of updating a lot of video files in prep for upgrading to Catalina, I have encountered several files that do not have an extension on them and will not play in any apps I've tried so far, including IINA, VLC, QTX and QT7Pro. Looking at them with Invisor indicates they are wmv2/Windows Media 7 or wmv3/Windows Media 8 or 9 or other similar combos of numbers. I have tried adding various extensions to the files such as .wmv, .mov, etc without any luck. They also will not convert with UniConverter nor Handbrake. I also have some files that have a .mov extension that won't play and show similar formats when inspected with Invisor. I tried using a trial version of Switch, but it wouldn't play nor convert the files. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would be happy to install Windows in Parallels or Boot Camp if it will allow me to convert these videos and if that's my only option.

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 9:26 PM

VLC says in their notes that they support decoding WMV2/3; Windows Media Video 7/8/9.

Such files would generally have the file extension .asf, .asx, .wmv, or .wm. or .avi

You may want to try a converter that relies on ffmpeg for wide codec support, although that may still want to see a proper file extension.

Some Windows Media files used copy protection/encryption/DRM schemes that would make it near-impossible for regular conversion. If that applies to your files, then you’re probably wasting your time.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2019 9:26 PM in response to Couchcowboy

VLC says in their notes that they support decoding WMV2/3; Windows Media Video 7/8/9.

Such files would generally have the file extension .asf, .asx, .wmv, or .wm. or .avi

You may want to try a converter that relies on ffmpeg for wide codec support, although that may still want to see a proper file extension.

Some Windows Media files used copy protection/encryption/DRM schemes that would make it near-impossible for regular conversion. If that applies to your files, then you’re probably wasting your time.

Oct 23, 2019 9:53 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks so much, Urquhart1244! 2 questions, if I may:

1) which converter relying on ffmpeg would you recommend?

2) is there anyway to inspect the files to see if they are copy protected/DRMed? Would the fact that VLC won't open them indicate such? (VLC will open some but they look pixelated)

BTW, these files used to open just fine with Flip4Mac QT extension, for whatever that's worth.

Oct 25, 2019 5:28 PM in response to Couchcowboy

My current goto conversion tool is ff·Works, which is a GUI front-end for the command line tool ffmpeg (separate download). Lots of options and settings, which may seem overwhelming at first to some, but it also has some presets for output to formats compatible with various Apple devices.

You can do the same with just ffmpeg only, but then you’ll have to master all the command line instructions.

I have always avoided WMV DRM’ed content like the plague, and the last I encountered was more than a decade ago. So I don’t know for sure how to inspect that anymore. Give Invisor Lite (or similar tools based on MediaInfo) a try.

Or conversion tools will probably error out and tell you that they encountered copy protection.

Nov 1, 2019 9:57 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Again, thanks, U1244! Sorry just getting back to you; have been too busy to even check my email/discussions! Will definitely check out ffWorks!

I have looked at these files with Invisor Lite and it gives the usual data such as format (MPEG-4, QuickTime), duration, FPS, codec ID (WMV3 for example), Codec ID/info (Windows Media Video 9 for example), duration, dimensions, etc. Don't see anything that indicates DRM info, but maybe I don't know where to look.

I have looked at more of these problem files with VLC since you mentioned it and indeed many will open but play in what I would describe as a "scrambled" fashion. Would that indicate they are probably DRMed?

How to convert wmv2 or 3/Windows Media 7, 8 or 9 videos to mp4s?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.