Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro - Retina 13", Early 2015 model. High Sierra. Won't start until long pressing power button. Boot up is slow. Generally very slow overall.

Hi, I am using a MacBook Pro - Retina 13", Early 2015 model. With macOS High Sierra. I started my laptop after two days and there was a problem in it starting. On pressing the power button the apple start up sound/chime would play but stop abruptly. Tried this a couple times, with the same result. Holding the power button down for 10 seconds continuously finally worked and the apple logo came on the screen !

It went on to start but took ages(5 mins) to boot up after entering the password.

Since then the computer is extremely slow.

On reading multiple posts over here, tried resetting the SMC by following the instructions but to no avail.

Any and all kind of help will be really appreciated.

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 1:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 10:03 PM

Hi,

I took my laptop to the authorised service centre and after diagnosis they said they need to change the motherboard. As it has mold formation on it due to water damage. The water damage was done 3 years back after I had just got the laptop. The apple technicians then had said the warranty was void but everything was alright with the laptop.

They cleaned it and returned it to me. And it was perfectly fine until this problem started.

Now the new motherboard obviously is costing me a bomb. As good as getting a new one.

Can anybody please help me with some options ?

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2019 10:03 PM in response to dwb

Hi,

I took my laptop to the authorised service centre and after diagnosis they said they need to change the motherboard. As it has mold formation on it due to water damage. The water damage was done 3 years back after I had just got the laptop. The apple technicians then had said the warranty was void but everything was alright with the laptop.

They cleaned it and returned it to me. And it was perfectly fine until this problem started.

Now the new motherboard obviously is costing me a bomb. As good as getting a new one.

Can anybody please help me with some options ?

Oct 23, 2019 8:04 AM in response to avani16

*UPDATE*

Summary of the report. Have attached the complete report too.

EtreCheck version: 6.1.3 (6B018)

Report generated: 2019-10-23 11:29:04

Download EtreCheck from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime: 25:29

Performance: Poor

Problem: Computer is too slow

Major Issues:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention. 

No Time Machine backup - Time Machine backup not found.

Adware - Adware detected.

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed that could be adware and should be reviewed.

Poor performance - EtreCheck report shows poor performance. This is unusual.

Minor Issues:

These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems or opportunities for improvement. 

Kernel extensions blocked - There are blocked kernel extensions awaiting user approval.

32-bit Apps - This machine has 32-bits apps will not work on macOS 10.15 “Catalina”.

Oct 26, 2019 6:01 AM in response to dwb

Hi,

-So I ran Malware Bytes and have cleaned the adware.

-Apple Diagnostics came up with the following message:

No Issues found.

Reference Code : ADP000

-Another thing I have noticed is a very high CPU usage by a kernel_task in the Activity Monitor. I have attached a screenshot of the same.

I would greatly appreciated guidance as to how to proceed.

Oct 25, 2019 9:25 AM in response to avani16

Adware was detected - download MalwareBytes to delete it. MalwareBytes is the only anti-malware I trust at present. It can be used manually as freeware or you can purchase it to keep constant watch. I see no reason for the constant watch but some like it.

Your drive speeds aren't what I expect. I'd run Apple's Diagnostics - reboot and hold the D key.

MacBook Pro - Retina 13", Early 2015 model. High Sierra. Won't start until long pressing power button. Boot up is slow. Generally very slow overall.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.