Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Airport Extreme

My base station is giving me a message that it is running hot but it is not how do I fix it.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 5:10 PM

1 reply

Oct 23, 2019 6:44 PM in response to garrick5167

Your extreme is a Gen6, ie the tall AC model??

There is a long thread about the problem. What people discovered is that if you turn off file sharing on the disks tab it stopped complaining.

Assuming you do have a Gen6 could you actually test an idea I have. Instead of turning off file sharing which makes no sense.

On the Internet tab add a DNS like 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 You don't need both but I have it setup like this.

If power goes off and it comes back up it will often give me an overheat warning.

I just did it..

To prove the problem and solution.

This is a Time Capsule I got dead.. it is out of the case and the fan is disconnected. But I got it running with overheat error. This happens a few seconds after the startup and it settles down with green LED and everything good.

So I added DNS (Since it is a TC I don't want to turn off file sharing).

So update with this slight change.

Now it is perfectly happy.. next time I will delete 8.8.8.8 and it will fix it up again.. You simply need to change any setting (of no great consequence on a running Airport) and the error disappears.. weird eh??

The problem does not come back until a power loss causes the TC to reboot.

According to the temperature reading (I have low level access to get this). You can see all the temps are normal.

Apple Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.