Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have three external hard drives listed with my Time Machine backup. I no longer use these drives. How do I get them removed as being used for time machine backups?

I previously had three external hard drives that I have used to backup my mac using Time Machine. Over time, each one of these external drives has failed. They are still listed as being the drives used for Time Machine backups.

1. How do I remove them from being listed?
  2. While in Time Machine, the new external hard drive which has been partitioned and formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled & Encrypted) is not found and I am not asked to set this as the new backup disk. How can I set it up as the new backup?

Thanks

MacBook, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 7:29 AM

In the Time Machine System Preferences, you can select the disks you are using and remove ones you are not.

When you Select Disks, it lists them all and you should be able to remove the ones you are not using.

Similar questions

1 reply

I have three external hard drives listed with my Time Machine backup. I no longer use these drives. How do I get them removed as being used for time machine backups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.