Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to copy or transfer app from 6s to X

Recently tried to set up new XS using iTunes app. Backup from 6s apparently succeeded but iTunes app refused to recognise XS. Tried the WiFi setup method and that succeeded except for one app. App icon transferred and, presumably, data but app doesn’t work. There is a cloud type indicator before the app name. Tapping on the app icon responds with “No longer available in App Store”. Shouldn’t the transfer have included the complete app? App continues to work on 6s. App included paid upgrade to full features. Only means of using it now is to keep the 6s running for the sake of that one app. No alternative apps available.

iPhone XS, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 4:33 PM

8 replies

Oct 25, 2019 12:14 AM in response to Lyssa

Thanks for the response. But a very poor situation. As mentioned, I have the full app on my 6s having paid for it. Does Apple think people have money to just throw away?

I have tried contacting the developer but without success. I have not only used the contact information in the app but also done a search online. My assumption is that the developer has ceased business.

The app in question has considerable essential information about my car that, barring finding all the bits of paper, is now lost.

Oct 25, 2019 8:39 AM in response to razmee209

I can’t direct my query to the app developer because it/they appear to have ceased to operate.

An email to the developer email address has produced no response and there is no sign of it/them on the web.

This is as good a place as any to warn everyone about the rip-off that may come about as a result of the actions of Apple and some developers in respect of paid-for apps. For myself, I cannot now conceive of an app that I would consider so essential that I would contemplate paying for it.

Perhaps if enough people refuse to pay for apps it may induce Apple and developers to adopt fairer policies.

In the case of the app that has brought the situation to my attention, it is still working perfectly well on my 6s so, from my point of view, there is no justification for Apple to remove it from the App Store and create problems for everyone with older iPhones. Especially since the 6s is still available and supported.

Oct 26, 2019 12:37 PM in response to ProfGadget

It's not a rip-off. It's how the digital world works. Companies realize their products aren't worth maintaining anymore and cease to do it. You just don't have a physical object to deal with, and the internet makes it easier for developers to disappear.

You will find the same problems with Android phones and apps.

~Lyssa

unable to copy or transfer app from 6s to X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.