Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which MacBook supports external microphone?

I have a MacBook Air (2014 model) and I am trying to use an external microphone for recording, but it seems it does not support external microphone. I tested with my friend's MacBook Pro (2019 model) and the external mic works pretty well. So, I would like to ask which MacBooks support external microphone and which supports headphone only?

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 9:55 PM

About the only avenues to audio in would be USB ports, or maybe Thunderbolt ports;

some brands of USB microphones were available some years ago; haven't kept up on

what their direction was so could be obsoleted now.

There are two built-in microphones in the 2014 MacBook Air according to MacTracker.

{..A third-party item by name of iMic was available, from Belkin; used a USB port..}

But no mention otherwise, of microphones; at least not in their database application.

However the official Apple product information may disclose a little more.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014) - Technical Specifications

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP700?locale=en_US

Other database may be searchable for more info in this matter. ~ Takes time, is all.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2019 9:55 PM in response to Lilyguo

About the only avenues to audio in would be USB ports, or maybe Thunderbolt ports;

some brands of USB microphones were available some years ago; haven't kept up on

what their direction was so could be obsoleted now.

There are two built-in microphones in the 2014 MacBook Air according to MacTracker.

{..A third-party item by name of iMic was available, from Belkin; used a USB port..}

But no mention otherwise, of microphones; at least not in their database application.

However the official Apple product information may disclose a little more.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014) - Technical Specifications

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP700?locale=en_US

Other database may be searchable for more info in this matter. ~ Takes time, is all.

Which MacBook supports external microphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.