Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to delete photos

When photos are imported using the "Keep Folder Organization" checkbox it seems I'm unable to delete photos from within the Photos app. With a photo selected in the All Photos tab, I right click and select delete. The photo is moved to the "Recently Deleted" album. I go to that album and select "Delete All", yet the photo remains on disk in it's original location.

Am I doing something wrong or is this feature not available when photos are imported in the manner above?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 25, 2019 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2019 1:40 PM

Yes, "Copy Items to the Photos Library" is disabled. Too bad there isn't the option for Photos to delete referenced files. If I continue in this direction, this means that if I want to delete a photo it must be done twice, once from Photos and then from the Finder. Looks like I'll have to find a Photos alternative. Thanks all for your responses.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2019 1:40 PM in response to léonie

Yes, "Copy Items to the Photos Library" is disabled. Too bad there isn't the option for Photos to delete referenced files. If I continue in this direction, this means that if I want to delete a photo it must be done twice, once from Photos and then from the Finder. Looks like I'll have to find a Photos alternative. Thanks all for your responses.

Oct 31, 2019 11:45 AM in response to mohavebaked

Hi mohavebaked,

Thanks for posting your question about Photos. I'm happy to see if I can help.

As I understand it, when you delete photos that were imported using "Keep Folder Organization," you're able to delete them from Recently Deleted, but you still see files for the photos in Finder; is that right?

If you import without "Keep Folder Organization," there are no files for the photos left in Finder, correct?

Are you using iCloud Photos?

Are you importing from an iOS device, or a camera? If it's an iOS device, which model and software version? Also, which macOS version are you using?

It sounds like a good starting point is to test this in a new user account on your Mac, which will tell you if the behavior is system-wide or user-specific: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac. Test importing in Photos in the new user account to see if you can replicate the behavior, and reply back with the results.

I hope this helps get you started. Take care.

Oct 31, 2019 1:13 PM in response to mohavebaked

The photo is moved to the "Recently Deleted" album. I go to that album and select "Delete All", yet the photo remains on disk in it's original location.

When you import Photos to Photos, it will copy the Photos into the Photos Library. When you delete photos in Photos, it will not delete the files outside the Photos library, that you originally imported. The import option "Keep Folder Organization" does not change this behavior. This option will just create albums corresponding the original folders in the Photos library. But it does not link the photos in Photos to the folders outside the Photos Library, where you originally imported the photos from.

Are you importing the photos as referenced photos, with the "Photos > Preferences > General > Importing: Copy Items to the Photos Library" disabled? Then Photos will not copy the photos into the library and you must not delete the originals outside Photos, but deleteing a photo in Photos cannot delete the original outside the library.

Unable to delete photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.