Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hyperlink issues in keynote

I have several keynote slides I have hyperlinks in. Years ago they worked. Now they don’t. Any ideas how to fix?

Posted on Oct 25, 2019 6:10 PM

7 replies

Oct 26, 2019 9:26 AM in response to macmikeal

I would recreate the links on each object as follows:

• make a copy of the Keynote file for backup
  • click on the hyperlink icon on the object on the slide and select remove
  • right click the object, select Add Link and make the requires setting
  • test the hyperlink in Play, if this works proceed with all the other links

For the hyperlinks with "return to previous slide"; change the link to previous slide then copy the object and paste on the remaining relevant slides

Now if you have a limited number of presentations and a limited number of slides this is easy, but the more links you have the longer it will take. There is not a way to repair Keynote files.

Oct 29, 2019 1:16 PM in response to macmikeal

Try resetting Keynote by completing all of the following steps in the order listed:

1. ensure you have a current backup of all your user files saved to a separate drive
  2. close all applications
  3. uninstall Keynote; for this procedure to work, an application removal tool must be used, App Delete has a free trial and works for this procedure. It can be downloaded from the developer’s website here:  App Delete
  4. empty the Trash (Finder > Empty Trash)
  5. restart the Mac (Apple Menu > Restart);  Immediately after the Apple startup sound, press the shift key on the keyboard, release shift when the Apple icon appears. Start up will take longer than usual as the Mac is performing a software repair of the start up drive
  6. After the Mac is fully powered up, restart the Mac normally:   Apple Menu > Restart
  7. reinstall Keynote from the Mac App Store in the Applications folder
  8. Restart the Mac again

Oct 26, 2019 9:08 AM in response to Gary Scotland

The way these are setup is: I have an icon on the slide hyperlinked to another slide. Then on that slide a hyperlink to take me back to the previous slide. All worked great until last keynote upgrade. I have a slide with a point and 9 scripture references hyperlinked to chart with the scripture written out then icon on scripture chart takes me back I also have a hyperlink on the one with point I can skip the scriptures altogether if I want. Any ides

as on what was worked quit. It is like the links aren’t there although I can choose and see a menu like in your picture.

Nov 1, 2019 6:22 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Hyperlink Issue in Keynote.

Today while working on one of my presentations for Sunday. 

I took this slide and added a graphi, blue ball lower right,  to it in order to link to another slide.

(oops graphic didn't come in. )

I am wanting to make a decision to either go to the next, via not clicking the graphic, or to skip the next slide and going to the one after. The way I added the link was in Keynote go to format add link then slide select slide number and put in 4 as the slide is currently slide 2. I went into play mode click on the graphic and it goes to slide 3 it doesn’t skip to 4. I did finally get it to work in my office on a second monitor connected to SVGA Monitor. Apparently it will not work if you are using an HDMI setup or I haven’t gotten it to do so. The projection we have in the Sancturary has a Mac mini. I use the SVGA out to a monitor for my use. We come off the HDMI out for the projection screen to a large screen. In the Preferences on Keynote under slideshow I have checked Show Pointer only on slides with links or movies. On the 2nd Monitor in the Office you can see the pointer. On the Large Screen you can’t see the pointer.  So the issue is apparently to do with trying to do this through HDMI.

hyperlink issues in keynote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.