Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD-R Or DVD+R best for burning iMovies onto a DVD?

To burn an iMovie I made onto a DVD that will p lay in both a DVD player and on my computer, is it best to use DVD-R or DVD+R discs?

Thanks, Melissa

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 26, 2019 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2019 8:53 AM

I would go with DVD-R discs. Some years back DVD-R was much more compatible in a greater number of DVD players than DVD+R. It was was something like 85% compatibility for the DVD-R and 60% compatibility for the DVD+R. Today most DVD players play both formats, but I still would stick to DVD-R, maybe just out of habit but I still have more confidence in the DVD-R compatibility.

The main thing is to buy a good quality disc and not a cheap disc. Cheaper discs are of lower quality, more burn errors, and tend to be made of materials that do not last as long as a good quality disc. Verbatim is a brand that is regarded as high quality and is what I use for making DVD's. Taiyo Yuden is another good brand. Sony is good.

The next thing to know is that the burn program on your Mac only burns data DVDs that can be played on a computer but not on a DVD player. To burn a DVD that can be played on both a computer and a DVD player you must burn it with an authoring program like iDVD or Roxio Toast, or a number of others that are now available. Unfortunately, iDVD no longer works on Catalina, and was barely functional on High Sierra and Mojave. If you are running Catalina make sure that whatever DVD authoring program that you buy is 64bit compatible.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2019 8:53 AM in response to mjwest

I would go with DVD-R discs. Some years back DVD-R was much more compatible in a greater number of DVD players than DVD+R. It was was something like 85% compatibility for the DVD-R and 60% compatibility for the DVD+R. Today most DVD players play both formats, but I still would stick to DVD-R, maybe just out of habit but I still have more confidence in the DVD-R compatibility.

The main thing is to buy a good quality disc and not a cheap disc. Cheaper discs are of lower quality, more burn errors, and tend to be made of materials that do not last as long as a good quality disc. Verbatim is a brand that is regarded as high quality and is what I use for making DVD's. Taiyo Yuden is another good brand. Sony is good.

The next thing to know is that the burn program on your Mac only burns data DVDs that can be played on a computer but not on a DVD player. To burn a DVD that can be played on both a computer and a DVD player you must burn it with an authoring program like iDVD or Roxio Toast, or a number of others that are now available. Unfortunately, iDVD no longer works on Catalina, and was barely functional on High Sierra and Mojave. If you are running Catalina make sure that whatever DVD authoring program that you buy is 64bit compatible.

-- Rich

Oct 26, 2019 11:15 AM in response to mjwest

Hi,

The only DVD burn program that I have used is iDVD. Unfortunately, iDVD no longer works on Catalina and was barely functional on Mojave and High Sierra. I use it on an older computer running El Capitan. I am not personally familiar with other authoring programs. I have not heard of Peng GUI. The "Burn" program that you mention, if it is the free one that can be downloaded from the internet, I have heard mentioned by others on this forum. From what I understand, it is fairly rudimentary but otherwise I have heard nothing bad about it. Other DVD authoring programs are discussed from time to time on this forum. I don't recall anyone mentioning quality issues. If anything bad is mentioned it's mostly lack of features (like themes) or burn errors. Unfortunately, the enthusiasm for these programs appears fairly low. I am aware of no program that comes anywhere close to iDVD.

You'll probably need to do your due diligence and research the particular DVD program that you are considering for purchase -- customer reviews and articles. If you can run iDVD on a computer with El Capitan or earlier, that's the way I would go.

Perhaps others who have had experience with the programs that you mentioned will chime in here.

-- Rich

DVD-R Or DVD+R best for burning iMovies onto a DVD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.