Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop the Music app from opening automatically?

With Catalina how do I stop the music app from opening automatically when I connect bluetooth headphones to my Mac mini? I use the headphones/earbuds to listen to Youtuble or netflix. I never use the Music app but it open automatically whenever I connect the earbuds. Any suggestions?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 26, 2019 1:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 6:26 AM

I think this answer misunderstands the question. The problem is not a malfunction; the NORMAL function of Apple Music is problematic. It automatically responds to bluetooth signals and (THIS IS THE PROBLEMATIC PART) that feature CANNOT be completely disabled (3rd party apps can take over some functions but not all).

If you use Apple Music, this would be a nice feature. If you use other apps (Amazon Music in my case), this feature means that Apple Music is constantly opening whenever I interact with my Bluetooth Headphones.

Ideally, Apple would provide a toggle for this under Preferences. The current behavior feels somewhat abusive of the user; Apple using their OS to push their paid services (similar to Microsoft's attempts to monopolize the browser for Windows).

I use bluetooth headphones (Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2) and find that its controls don't effectively work with Amazon Music (which may be Amazon's problem) and constantly trigger Apple Music.

As it stands now, we need a workaround. Is there any way to disable or shut down Music or a related process, service, etc. to prevent this?

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2019 6:26 AM in response to Teddy_B

I think this answer misunderstands the question. The problem is not a malfunction; the NORMAL function of Apple Music is problematic. It automatically responds to bluetooth signals and (THIS IS THE PROBLEMATIC PART) that feature CANNOT be completely disabled (3rd party apps can take over some functions but not all).

If you use Apple Music, this would be a nice feature. If you use other apps (Amazon Music in my case), this feature means that Apple Music is constantly opening whenever I interact with my Bluetooth Headphones.

Ideally, Apple would provide a toggle for this under Preferences. The current behavior feels somewhat abusive of the user; Apple using their OS to push their paid services (similar to Microsoft's attempts to monopolize the browser for Windows).

I use bluetooth headphones (Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2) and find that its controls don't effectively work with Amazon Music (which may be Amazon's problem) and constantly trigger Apple Music.

As it stands now, we need a workaround. Is there any way to disable or shut down Music or a related process, service, etc. to prevent this?

Nov 2, 2019 1:37 PM in response to Teddy_B

Thank you for your suggestions. I went through all of those steps while on the phone with Apple Tech support trying to resolve a track pad problem. The track problem is not resolved, neither is the Music app problem. The support person had me reinstall Catalina, that did not solve the problems either.

Nov 1, 2019 7:08 AM in response to mjkayak

Hello mjkayak,

I understand from your post that when you connect your headphones to your Mac Mini the Music app automatically opens. I am happy to help.

Let's try an SMC reset. 

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

You may also want to try an NVRAM reset. 

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

If you're still experiencing the issue after performing the above tasks, then let's try Safe Mode.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Let us know if that resolves this issue for you. 

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. 

Take care.

How do I stop the Music app from opening automatically?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.