Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB 2.0 reconnect problem with Catalina

When I disconnect my USB devices they are not recognized when I reconnect them to the same USB-C port. The same happens if osx goes to sleep. Eventually I run out of USB-C ports and need to restart the computer to fix the issue. Anyone know a fix for this or a way to reset the USB connection?

I have a USB 2.0 type A, Apple keyboard, mouse, and webcam hooked up to a USB-C adapter that also includes an HDMI converter. The HDMI connection does not experience this issue - only the USB-A devices. I went out and bought a new Apple USB-C adapter just to make sure it wasn't that, but it made no difference. I also tried just connecting one USB 2.0 device at a time to rule out one of them messing something up and the same thing happened. Sometimes the mouse works for a few seconds after waking from sleep but then it stops.

I tried a SMC reset with no success

This happened immediately after I upgraded to Catalina.

It is super inconvenient to have to restart my computer all the time as I often plug-in/unplug several times a day.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 27, 2019 6:15 PM

1 reply

USB 2.0 reconnect problem with Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.