Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknown error occurred, error (-54)

Can anyone help me with this absurdity from Apple? Attempting to sync both my iPad mini and my iPhone, with everything up to date, rebooted and clean as a whistle, I am still getting this message. Some things actually do transfer, but other things don't. Sometimes it seems to occur when my iphone or ipad go to the splash screen after the alloted time -- but this has never been an issue in the past, and if it is now, then Apple is truly incompetent. What am I saying? Of course they're incompetent or I wouldn't be getting this infuriating block. Can anyone help?

thanks.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 7:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 7:56 PM

Do you mean that you are trying to sync the iPhone with iTunes on the computer, or are you saying that you are attempting to sync the iPhone to the iPad? You can take a look at this support document if you are referring to the iPhone and iTunes, If you see error -54 when you sync with your computer - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2019 7:56 PM in response to cloudyseattle

Do you mean that you are trying to sync the iPhone with iTunes on the computer, or are you saying that you are attempting to sync the iPhone to the iPad? You can take a look at this support document if you are referring to the iPhone and iTunes, If you see error -54 when you sync with your computer - Apple Support

Oct 28, 2019 8:06 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Sorry I wasn't clear. I mean in both cases, I am using iTunes on my Windows 10 PC to sync to the iPad mini and to my iPhone 6S+. With both devices, I am getting that error. I do wonder if it's because my security screen comes up of course in the allotted time - and if that is blocking the sync. that's never been an issue in the past and if it is now, it's truly absurd since of course there's no way for that not to happen.

Thanks for the direction, but yes I have seen their suggestion and I have followed it. NOTHING has changed about the iTunes media folder. It is not secure and it's always been that way for years and multiple syncings. they do mention security anti-virus software and of course I do have that on my computer. Do you think that I should disable that while syncing? I can give it a shot. At this point I'm pretty infuriated. We spend thousands of dollars on their gear, and this happens. And now...trying to update my iPhone, it just locked and tells me it will have to "restore". It's breathtakingly incompetent software.

Oct 28, 2019 8:21 PM in response to cloudyseattle

Yes, you need to disable the anti-virus software. More than likely that caused the other problem as well. You mention a security screen coming up. What are you referring to, your anti-virus software? What are you using? I've not experienced problems with iTunes, and I've used it through a number of versions of Windows. But I can tell you that Windows 10 does not always play well with it, and especially with anti-virus software. Some anti-virus is almost impossible to use, such as Kasperski.

Unknown error occurred, error (-54)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.