Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Catalina Photos Update Hanging

I have updated my A1398 late 2014 Retina 15" MacBook Pro to the latest Mac OSX software update Catalina 10.15. An update to Photos was recommended to version 5 which reorders the stored photograph and videos so that a new format is created, showcasing system selected highlights and a more aesthetically pleasing layout in years, months and days modes. To achieve this my computer has undergone a process of re-building this layout. A progress bar is given advising leaving the device connected to power and implying the process is deleting duplicates, curating best photos, composing the layout, gathering favourites and analysing scenes. However the process does not want to complete after a number of days and has effectively 'hung' at around 80% complete. This process does not affect the ability to add, view or delete photos so the App is still usable. I did read on-line that this hang up may be due to old .avi files in the collection and removing them allows the process to complete. I have no .avi files, most are either .MOV / .mov and .mp4 There are about a dozen shown as .TRIM.MOV and I have four stored Animoji's using .3gp Are these odd file formats an issue, is there another issue or should I still remain patient while the system sorts itself out. For information I use Activity Monitor to see what is occurring and the WiFi access is no longer continuously connecting but the cores are still quite active. Is this an indication that my computer is processing this new format or just struggling to work out what is required? Thanks for reading this post. Any help would be appreciated. Vince

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 2:09 AM

An update on my previous post that may be of assistance to any readers who share similar issues. Time appears to have eventually resolved my issue. Now all my photographs are fully coordinated and can be labelled in [more or less] real time. I did not resort to any file deletion. Vince

Similar questions

1 reply

OSX Catalina Photos Update Hanging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.